free website stats program Backfiring on decel with TFI and Stage 1?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Backfiring on decel with TFI and Stage 1??

martysnarf

Since I installed my Rinehart slip-ons, SE Air cleaner, and altered my TFI to their recommended settings for a Stage 1 Touring setup, my Glide now backfires on deceleration, mainly in 3rd and 4th gear.

Do I need to adjust my TFI?

I have also lost SUBSTANTIAL mpg, and this happened with my old bike too when I switched to the Stage 1. I know that I added more fuel with the TFI, but on many posts on here it seems like you guys are still getting good mileage. What kind of mileage should I expect with this kind of setup?

THANKS!

increase your green #1 pot to compensate for the popping on decel.

I have good results 2:30-3:00

knocking the yellow #2 pot down a bit might help fuel mileage.

I have seen a drop as well, however since my bike is running
so much sweeter than before ( yesterday )
I'm not sure I care that much about mileage today :)

increase your green #1 pot to compensate for the popping on decel.

I have good results 2:30-3:00

knocking the yellow #2 pot down a bit might help fuel mileage.

I have seen a drop as well, however since my bike is running
so much sweeter than before ( yesterday )
I'm not sure I care that much about mileage today :)

Thanks Martin! I have the newer model TFI with the Mode button and LED's, so I will probably have to bump the green by one light, and knock the yellow down by a light. I'll fool with it and let ya know.

THANKS!

The popping on decel is largely attributed to the Rinehart slip-ons. Being a free flowing muffler let's you hear it more than the stockers. If you listen with the stock mufflers, it's there too but you don't really hear it.

My mileage dropped a little but I think that was a result of more aggressive riding with the 21N cam ; ). If you are breathing and exhausting more you are probably going to burn more fuel. Like martin14 says, my ride runs better with the TFI. That is basically what the TFI does is deliver more fuel. Try doing a search and viewing some other posts about Techlusion TFI and check the self- help section as well. 2:30 0n #1 works for me with a K&N stage one and Thunderheader slip ons.

I was getting about 45ish mpg, and now down to 30!! Does that sound right????

turn the yellow down 2 lights :)
that should be the one that adds fuel while accelerating.

I dont think I lost that much Marty, I know
I lost some gas mileage, could see that yesterday just fooling around the roads.. but not a third.

Glider's right about popping, you may never really get rid of all of it,
I still get a little pop when I roll off the throttle.

But you mentioned a backfire, which is a different animal.
My backfires are gone, the big gunshot booms.
I still get a little popping, the open pipes make sure of that :)

Yeah, it's popping man, not backfires. Sorry for the confusion!

Cool- I'll play with it this weekend and see what happens. That mpg loss just seemed HUGE to me!

You can back down on the #2 pot considerably to gain MPG. I had mine down around 1 ish and was getting upper 30's mostly from MPG

I stopped mine from popping by knocking down Mode 4 to the first green.

If that doesn't work go up one the other way to the third light. I confirmed this info with Teclusion when I had the same problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back