free website stats program All Electrical - POOF | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

All Electrical - POOF

Tried using the weld tip cleaners, didn't seem like I was accomplishing anything.
Thanks Again,
Jake

The round piano wire files in different sizes.? Cut off the smooth leader tip with wire cutters. Select the proper wire thickness and go to town. I thought they worked pretty good.

Sorry Jake, I buy those piano wire files by the case. For me they come in handy for so many projects.

Great responses to the initial problem and Jake was very deligent in finding the problem. I never would have thought of the New fuses, but I will now. I have a question on cleaners, being an "Old" biker I was always taught to use baking soda and water in a paste, tooth brush or something smaller to clean electrical terminals. I know that many things have been improved on over the years, but does the baking soda paste still work, or will it harm the new electronic connections?

Got the Nyogel and fuses, put everything back together and it is doing fine. I think this is something that has been slowly building for some time. It used to seem like the starter didn't quite have all the power it should have. This morning it kicked over like it was new. Thanks for all the great support and information. HDTimeline comes through again.

Hoop,

The problem with the piano wite files may be do to my poor knowledge of just where I needed to clean the fuse holders. In any case, I have them for future projects. Thanks again.

Jake

I have a question on cleaners, being an "Old" biker I was always taught to use baking soda and water in a paste, tooth brush or something smaller to clean electrical terminals.

The baking soda is a great trick if you are dealing with neutralizing battery acid of some kind. Lets say your key fob battery was to leak. You would absolutely have to neutralize the pasty acid that came out of the battery. Washing the contacts & plastic battery holder w/ baking soda would be a Must.
Washing the top of a lead acid battery and it's terminals with baking soda is also good to do.

But cleaning push in or snap electrical connects w/ baking soda is probably not the best way to do it. After the water evaporates your left with a lot of white powder that actually is an insulator if it gets trapped between the female & male connector..

The baking soda is a great trick if you are dealing with neutralizing battery acid of some kind.
Washing the top of a lead acid battery and it's terminals with baking soda is also good to do.

Keep in mind if you clean the top of any battery that if this gets INTO the battery through a vent or fill cap if they have them that it will also neutralize the battery acid inside the battery as well.

I have used Deoxit 5 for years as well. I have seen the stuff work miracles in cleaning dirty pots on live sound equipment, guitar rigs, stereo equipment etc. I keep it on the shelf all the time. I recommend it all the time.

Bodeen

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Time to go shopping for Deoxit. Once again the old dog does learn a new trick.

Do not use baking soda in the fuse block or any electronic equipment...it is alkali...a salt...add moisture and you have corrosion big time. Use only electronic cleaner, or 100% alcohol...no alkali, water or acidic solutions...chemistry 101 class was one of those we should not have skipped...:small3d007:

Last edited:
Ready for Part II ?

The Dyna did it again this morning. Stopped at the bank to get some money out of the ATM. Shut down the bike, did my business, and went to crank it up. Key on, indicator lights and headlight came on, hit the stop switch, fuel pump ran, hit the starter, turned over maybe a half turn and everything went dead. It is like the battery has been removed. No headlight, no indicator lights, no security light, absolutely nothing. Apparently, the fuses were a symptom (or unrelated) and not the cause.

So, where should I start looking? What component will kill power to everything, including the security system? None of the fuses are blown. When I plug in the battery tender, I get a slowly flashing amber light; looks like it does when not hooked up, just slower.

Man I love this thing, keeps me from being bored. :newsmile030:

2008 Dyna Street Bob, SE intake, Reinhardt Crossover pipes, Thundermax fueler with autotune.

TIA
Jake

Back