free website stats program 6th Gear | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

6th Gear

I usually don't shift into 6th until getting close to 3K rpm's which is pretty close to 70mph, but I mainly run back hwys & prefer cruiz'n @ 55-60 so don't need the extra geat.

Also, wondering why you waited until after break-in to use 6th? Guessing you didn't use glider's recommended new engine break-in??? Not to worry - it's never too late to run the 30/60/30.

I don't know if you all notice but 1st is tall just like 6th is too tall of gearing. Even after I put Stage 1, and D&D Fat Cat 2 into 1's I felt gears were to tall.....So I installed with some struggle the Andrews 30 Tooth Power Pulley on my 2009 FXDC.....Now the Gears are sweet. 2800 rpm at 65 mph in 6th. Mileage is still fine but the felt Torque through the gears.....is so much better.
Best Mod so far. I think it was about 2006 when HD MoCo went to too tall of gearing specifically for EPA Standards.....

GARY

There r times when Iam gettin on it that Iam not even shifting into 5th until 70mph only useing 6th as somthin like a overdrive when Iam at cruisin speed on the freeway . Maybe thats why Iam constantly breakin stuff.

Dave

I was speaking of cruising speed....not accelerating up to speed.....I definately feel you on hitting 5th at 70plus! I ride the highway to work and when I pull onto the freeway at 5:00am and look over my left shoulder and nothing is coming.....oh yeah.....I let my bike rip! Gotta get that out of my system every now and then!

I hear that! Can't be opening it up in the morning on my way to work without waking the entire neighborhood. 'I try to play well with others'.

I try to back the bike out from under the car port before i fire it up so it anit quite as loud at 5am but when i see the neighbors lights come on 5 sec after doing so i know they love me.

Dave

I think for LIABILITY, HD had to go for that low Suggested Number to shift INTO 6th gear..(to me all gears are stated too low)

Just think IF they said 70/80 mph into 6th.....

The tickets Getters @55 + mph in a 50 zone,,,BUT actually doing 70 in 6th gear,,,, the rider telling the Judge, BUT HARLEY SAID!

signed....BUBBIE

Generally for me it's 70+ for 6th gear. Anything lower and it's time to drop a gear. At 70 in 6th, I'm spinning @2800rpm. I like to keep it above 3000 rpm.:D

Back