free website stats program 6th Gear | Harley Davidson Forums

6th Gear

lowrider1963

Since my initiall break in period for my bike is over, I have been able to get on the highway and use the 6th gear. This is great since my last bike always seemed to want another gear once I go over 75 MPH. Maybe I am just not used to it, of it may be my imagination, but it almost sounds like there is a 'knocking' sound when I'm in 6th on the freeway. It is obviously hard to tell with all the noise, but it's running find with no vibration. It almost has the sound of when you are trying to accelerate in too low of a gear, but when I accelerate, no problem. May just be hearing things, I was so used to my 2000 FXDL and all it's sounds, I may just be hearing the bigger engine also.

I can't really comment about the sound you are hearing but I know when I had my 00 RK I was looking for 6th on the highway. I got my 08 RG and forgot I had it until I got used to it. :D

I also have the 2010 fxdc and was feeling like I was lugging the motor in too high a gear when in 6th......the owners manual states the proper speed to shift into 6th is 55 mph which is CRAZY. My sales rep even told me to ignore the manual and 6th gear is for MINIMUM 65! Once I started waiting to hit the top cog 'till I was really moving along at over 65 the bike sounds and behaves alot better......do you think you are running the bike too slow for top cog?

I can say the same thing 55 i way to low to be in 6th gear i find on my bike i need to be around 70mph to be in 6th gear or the motor sounds like it jog down to much.

That may be the problem. I usually shift into 6th between 55-60 (per the manual), but it still runs and sounds fine if I wait till 65+.

or maybe a legal issue with setting up a gear ratio that would require you to inform the customer to have to be above MOST legal posted speed limits to use the top gear. Just a thought!!!!

With a few mods she wont mind it at all. I experienced the same thing before my Stage 1 Filter, TFI and slipons. Now she purrs like a kitten at 60-62 at around 2300 rpm and pulls smoothly. The motor is breathing much better.

Before the mods I never used 6th under 65 at all.

I'm doing fine with the bike as stock.....I run the highway alot with my ride to work and in 6th the bike really WANTS to be doing 80........like its pulling its own throttle.....at 75 - 80 the bike runs smooth!

Back