free website stats program 6th Gear | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

6th Gear

Good to hear.....don't know why the manual says 55 for 6th gear.

I figure they write that to justify the mpg numbers they give the bikes, slower engine speeds with a light load = more fuel savings.. Not good for the engine though, as I understand it lugging puts a lot of extra stress on the engine..

Never considered the MPG rating......yeah I run the highway about 50% of my miles and I have yet to see anything better than 45mpg.....Harley states 50 MPG

Never considered the MPG rating......yeah I run the highway about 50% of my miles and I have yet to see anything better than 45mpg.....Harley states 50 MPG

Harley like any other manufacturer only has to post MPG on a few test vehicles to get the EPA rating and that is probably done on a dyno with ideal conditions:s

Not that I really care about MPG......certainly did not by a harley to save gas......if that were the case i would have bought a little(edit) bike for 5,000 bucks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry....guess I should have said japanese build motorcycle. No disrespect intended to the Japanese manufacturers.

With the traffic on the freeway limiting my speed (60-65) going to work, I'll have to wait until I upgrade to a Stage 1 filter kit and tune.

I gotta agree with Redfish, my 10 FXDC LOVES 6th now that he's got his pipes, air cleaner, and TFI dialed in.

What a HUGE difference in the bike.

Me likey. :ap

Jim

i change into 6th at 70+ mph example on long carrage way/motorway and use as an overdrive to drop revs on long run and improve mpg.but drop to -70 then back into 5th.
i thinkl 5 speed but with 6th as high speed option..........smaller roads 5th rolling on and off is the way to go.

Back