free website stats program 30 minutes...$35. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

30 minutes...$35.

JKT; It's really a case of "righty tighty, lefty loosey". You will need 7/16" and a 9/16" wrenches or sockets. A small crescent will work. Also some WD40 or PB blaster. Remove your saddlebags, and spray the studs & nuts clamp at the front of the mufflers, also all around the clamp. Do both sides. Then remove the 2 small bolts holding the mufflers to the bag brace. Now loosen the muffler clamp, and try to twist the muffler. Spray more if requred. Keep twisting until it goes about 1/2 total, then start pulling it off as you twist.
Installing the new MO's is reverse of above. If they have logo's on them, make sure you have left & right correct. Tip: carefully wrap your old mufflers and put in a safe place, for future epa requirements or to sell. If you don't wrap them good, they will get badly scratched over time, I promise!!
Lastly, buy a case of beer for yourself, and a bouquet of supermarket flowers for your wife with the $35 you saved.
Double Lastly, stand back and admire your new mufflers and notice that warm feeling inside from the free beer and doing it yourself. :newsmile016:

you will need a 1/2" and 9/16" not a 7/16

Great job, I knew you could do it!

Sorry, should have told you to make sure the were level, I did the same thing.

Ok, I'm an old pro at this now. Put the cans on the sporty today...went with the Rineharts for hers...wow, that thing sounds like you imagine a Harley should sound.

If anyone needs any bike work done, just let me know. :newsmile016:

Seriously, thanks for all the encouragement.

Was what I was quoted by the HD shop to install the MO's. That's not bad. Personally, I would really like to do this work myself, but I would really like to do it with someone who knows what they are doing supervising me. I would love to have someone walk me through what to do...

Nothing feels better than doing your own work on the bike

Back