free website stats program 30 minutes...$35. | Harley Davidson Forums

30 minutes...$35.

JKT1969

Was what I was quoted by the HD shop to install the MO's. That's not bad. Personally, I would really like to do this work myself, but I would really like to do it with someone who knows what they are doing supervising me. I would love to have someone walk me through what to do...

Sorry. I do live close enough to come over and give you a hand but I have ZERO experience with exhaust and/or slip ons.

JKT; It's really a case of "righty tighty, lefty loosey". You will need 7/16" and a 9/16" wrenches or sockets. A small crescent will work. Also some WD40 or PB blaster. Remove your saddlebags, and spray the studs & nuts clamp at the front of the mufflers, also all around the clamp. Do both sides. Then remove the 2 small bolts holding the mufflers to the bag brace. Now loosen the muffler clamp, and try to twist the muffler. Spray more if requred. Keep twisting until it goes about 1/2 total, then start pulling it off as you twist.
Installing the new MO's is reverse of above. If they have logo's on them, make sure you have left & right correct. Tip: carefully wrap your old mufflers and put in a safe place, for future epa requirements or to sell. If you don't wrap them good, they will get badly scratched over time, I promise!!
Lastly, buy a case of beer for yourself, and a bouquet of supermarket flowers for your wife with the $35 you saved.
Double Lastly, stand back and admire your new mufflers and notice that warm feeling inside from the free beer and doing it yourself. :newsmile016:

Do it yourself this one is as simple as stated above...also get the shop manual and with a few posted questions you will be saving money on the easy stuff and soon you will feel comfortable taking on the more challenging tasks:s

My 2 cents:
PB blaster works better than WD-40.
My left muffler was a real bear to remove. As yours is a 2009, it may not be that bad to remove. My stock mufflers were on for a long time. My point is I added a tiny amount of "anti seize" compound to the end of the exhaust pipe before slipping the new muffler on.

My exhaust pipe cracked and I had to remove the exahust system to weld it up. It made removal of the mufflers a breeze the second time around.

As stated above, swapping mufflers is really easy. It is a much better idea to drink the money!

Lastly, buy a case of beer for yourself, and a bouquet of supermarket flowers for your wife with the $35 you saved.
Double Lastly, stand back and admire your new mufflers and notice that warm feeling inside from the free beer and doing it yourself. :newsmile016:

Like Breeze3at says, buy you a case of beer and some flowers for your honey. :cheers

This is very easy to do. It is a matter of loosening a few nuts then slipping them off, hence the term slip ons. One thing I would suggest you do is lay a piece of carpet scrap or cardboard down under the pipes, just in case you drop them.

If you get in a bind, send us a note and some can walk you through it.

Oh, and I do love my MO. :bigsmiley24:

ok. i'm going to do it when i get home. going to autozone to pick up some exhaust paste, and i believe that's all i need.

Back