free website stats program 30 minutes...$35. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

30 minutes...$35.

Good luck and remember to wipe off the exhaust before u fire her up or u may have stains on the chrome

Once you have completed the install, make sure you clean all the fingerprints and hand prints off the MOs before you start it up.

Ok, here is the latest. Got home, straight to the closet for a quick change, then to Autozone for exhaust paste. Taking the bags off was really easy, removing the exhaust was quiet easy too, a little WD-40, wiggle, pull, wiggle pull pull, off they came.

Bottom line is I got them on!! The only goofs I made were, 1> not knowing how far to slide the pipes on, they just went on so easy I thought they would stop...they stopped when the black hit the heat shield and gave me a little scuff mark, :(

Got them on both sides pretty easily, made sure the clamps were as close to the edge as possible without going over and tightened em up...the second goof was it being hard to tell if the pipes were level horizontally...it wasn't until I got my saddle bags on until I realized my right pipe was leaning a little to the outside :(

Wiped them down really good, double checked the bags were on good, not sure I trust that little .20cent clip, then the fun part...

Fired it up and OMG :D The fillings in my teeth were rattling. WOW what a sound. So of course I had to go throw my jacket on and hit the road...WOW. The bike seems to run better, like it is free'd up more or something. No backfiring or nothing. All in all I give it a 7 out of 10 on my difficulty meter.

I can tell you the last side went on easier than the first side did...

Thanks for all the encouragement...if it were not for you guys, I would have definitely taken it to HD for the install!!

:newsmile061:

Gratz!! I was reading this post thinking that a road trip to BHam to lend a hand wouldnt be too bad ... help with a wrench, free beer, get to ride an 09 Street Glide (um, that was part of the deal, right? ... wait, what deal?) ... sorry the voices are talking again :D

Glad to hear it went well, maybe we will meet up sometime.

It definitely wasn't as hard as I thought it would be...just took it slow and paid attention to what I was doing, and except for the scuff, it looks good. Can I use a black sharpie or touch up paint to cover up the uh-oh??

After my test ride, I jumped right in to the Sporty and was able to get the OEM cans off...by that time I was pretty done. At least I have that 1/2 finished and will wrap that up tomorrow.

Great job! Now we'll have to meet up sometime so I can hear them first hand!

Absolutely...would love to.

For anyone who has not heard Monster Ovals in person...it really is unlike any pipe I have ever heard before. It is extremely deep sounding...if you are a music guy like me then this will make sense...the deeper a sound is the louder it can be without really sounding LOUD, but it is a very filling surround sound. The MO's remind me of that type of loudness.

Well done JKT...working on your ride is like music in other ways, you can listen or participate. And that is where the joy is, being able to make choices and adjusting your skill set and resources to match the job at hand. Nothing wrong with a few nits and picks along the way...that is life, who wants to live only for the end...it is the winding road that keeps things interesting AND FUN...Enjoy! :D

And just to be fair...Smitty is correct...30 minutes...$35 is reasonable, especially if you fell short on abilities, resources or time you really have a win-win situation. You could plan your appointment, drop by and pick it up an hour later after having a latte' and doing a little shopping maybe up front...could cost you a bit more if you buy stuff off the showroom floor, but hey your time is money too, and coming home empty handed is not necessarily fun either! :small3d036:

Last edited:
Back