free website stats program 30,000 on an '07 | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

30,000 on an '07

Bud, if you don't mind me asking, was the secondary as bad as the primary, I haven't pulled the cams yet to look at it.
The Thing that annoys me the most about this whole thing is I have to tear it apart, inspect it, then go to the H.D. Dealer and order parts that are a week to a 2 weeks out when they should have them sitting on their shelf. If I want a $40 t-shirt made in China, they got plenty....:small3d023:

I'm guessing they make more profit on the Chinese Tee shirts. The cotton is probably american made though! :s

The crazy part is the "96" crankshafts are VERY strong and Very good. All that is needed is the crank pin being tig welded. The crank does not have to be re-designed.
A couple of extra steps to the existing parts is all that is needed.

The cost of Truing and Locking up the crank is only $150. It the monumental amount of labor of taking it out and putting it back in once the engine is made and installed in the bike. It really is a shame HD does not take the few extra steps.

As long as people are buying 'em why spend the $150 to fix 'em? :bigsmiley22:

What frustrates me is HD is just now starting to get away from there rep of being unreliable. To let such an easy fix take them back two square one

I agree 110%. I truly love my bike and would not part with it in trade for 2 NEW METRICS. But it is an 2009.

But sometimes penny wise is dollar foolish. Making the allowable spec .012" is just an example.

Mark my words. The new 2011 LAN network communication systems will NOT be a good move for them. It saved them money on parts & wiring costs, but it will make lots of people angry. Starting with me!:p I would really have to want a 2011 to buy one that has a CAN network system on board.

lan network ? 2011 can network ? please explain if u havetime..TX

2011 Model Upgrades - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

Go to Page #27 of the above link.

It does not sound like much but it is a dramatic change from the past.

Example:
On the left side grip on your current bike there is a HORN button. You press the Horn button, it closes a relay,,the relay contacts close and your horn goes BEEP. Simple right.? How much can a problem in your horn circuit cost to repair.?? $50 tops? Maybe a couple of hours of labor if you never did it before.?

Not any More.!

The 2011 Grip assembly now has a microcontroller inside of it that is constantly scanning the left grip waiting to see if you pressed the Horn button. It is called Multiplexing. When you do, the processor comes to attention and looks up what the "code signal" is for the HORN. This code is similar to morse code. Lets say the HORN represents 6 long flashes and 3 short flashes. The grip microcontroller goes on the network and sends this 6-3 code along with an address which finds it's way to the Body Control Module. The body control ECM sees the 6-3 and looks it up in a chart. The chart says "Blow the Horn". Now the body control blows the horn.

So now lets say you push your horn button and nothing happens? Is it because the 6-3 was sent as a 6-5 code or is the Body control ECM looking at a 6-3 and reading it as a 6-1 something else. Or was the code never SENT by the grip processor to start with. Unless you have a "simulator" that has all the codes how do you go about fixing a simple "my horn does not blow" problem.

Is it the Grip? Is it an invalid code. Is it the Lan wiring itself. Is it the Body control module not UNDERSTANDING the correct code? Is it the SOLID STATE RELAY on the Body control model that is Bad.? Guess what,,, If they use solid state relays,, they won't be replaceable.

How much did you say my problem is going to cost to repair? It's JUST the HORN won't blow!

See where I am going with this. An extended warranty will be a must.

2011 model upgrades - archive - harley davidson community

go to page #27 of the above link.

It does not sound like much but it is a dramatic change from the past.

Example:
On the left side grip on your current bike there is a horn button. You press the horn button, it closes a relay,,the relay contacts close and your horn goes beep. Simple right.? How much can a problem in your horn circuit cost to repair.?? $50 tops? Maybe a couple of hours of labor if you never did it before.?

Not any more.!

The 2011 grip assembly now has a microcontroller inside of it that is constantly scanning the left grip waiting to see if you pressed the horn button. It is called multiplexing. When you do, the processor comes to attention and looks up what the "code signal" is for the horn. This code is similar to morse code. Lets say the horn represents 6 long flashes and 3 short flashes. The grip microcontroller goes on the network and sends this 6-3 code along with an address which finds it's way to the body control module. The body control ecm sees the 6-3 and looks it up in a chart. The chart says "blow the horn". Now the body control blows the horn.

So now lets say you push your horn button and nothing happens? Is it because the 6-3 was sent as a 6-5 code or is the body control ecm looking at a 6-3 and reading it as a 6-1 something else. Or was the code never sent by the grip processor to start with. Unless you have a "simulator" that has all the codes how do you go about fixing a simple "my horn does not blow" problem.

Is it the grip? Is it an invalid code. Is it the lan wiring itself. Is it the body control module not understanding the correct code? Is it the solid state relay on the body control model that is bad.? Guess what,,, if they use solid state relays,, they won't be replaceable.

How much did you say my problem is going to cost to repair? It's just the horn won't blow!

See where i am going with this. An extended warranty will be a must.

mo money, mo money ,mo money
:31:

I'm guessing they make more profit on the Chinese Tee shirts. The cotton is probably american made though! :s
I think you hit the nail right on the head on that one. Talking to a friend of mine, who just so happens to be the sales manager of the H-D dealership I'm referring to, Their gross "profit" in the clothing department for the month of May was $60,0000.
On that note I DO NOT shop for clothes at at the Harley dealership, but there must be a bunch of folks that do.

Back