free website stats program 30,000 on an '07 | Harley Davidson Forums

30,000 on an '07

W

wildspirit97

Well, I hit 30,000. Not a lot if you ask me, but I decided to pull the cam chain cover and take a peek at the Primary cam chain tensioner. I found that in my opinion it's worn out. Here's a couple of pictures just incase anyone out there is believing that the new hydraulic cam chain tensioners will last forever.

Attachments

• DSC00419.JPG
    DSC00419.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC00420.JPG
    DSC00420.JPG
    473.6 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC00421.JPG
    DSC00421.JPG
    426.9 KB · Views: 174
Definitely look pretty worn, but your pics are too close-up to see detail. Try to back away & zoom in for a close shot...

Knowing which oil he was using and frequency of change would be key.

$10 to "WIN" it was some type of synthetic..
$10 to "PLACE" it was a non V twin oil.
$25 to "SHOW" the oil used had a low zinc/phosphate content.

Definitely look pretty worn, but your pics are too close-up to see detail. Try to back away & zoom in for a close shot...
I took those with my phone, but if you really want a detailed pic I'm happy to get the Camera out. Point is the Plastic (Supposedly Kevlar shoe is more that half worn through with chunks missing around the metal pin, and the chain has started wearing though the metal in the shoe. I'll post more photos but right now I'm in the process of trying to decide whether to cut the push rods or tear the top end apart to get a peak at the secondary tensioner.

What engine oil did you use.
The guy that did the 500 mile service put in amsoil, since then I've been running Vtwin 20/50 Full Syn. Mobil 1

Knowing which oil he was using and frequency of change would be key.

$10 to "WIN" it was some type of synthetic..
$10 to "PLACE" it was a non V twin oil.
$25 to "SHOW" the oil used had a low zinc/phosphate content.
Mobile 1 Vtwin 20-50, changed every 3000 religiously couple of changes at less than 2500

While you are that far into it, might be a good time to change out the lifters also.:cheers no drinking during repairs

Mobile 1 Vtwin 20-50, changed every 3000 religiously couple of changes at less than 2500

I had Terrible issues with "sheer wear" (sliding part wear) using the non V-Twin Mobil 1 in automotive applications. I was using the regular 10w-30 automotive Mobil 1.

I am going to give it a little more time on my engine and pull the cover to inspect mine. I am so curious to see what I will find. I am using a Dyno oil (blend) right now.

While you are that far into it, might be a good time to change out the lifters also.:cheers no drinking during repairs
Thanks, your actually the first person to mention that one, everybody else says its a good time to change out the cams, but I'm perfectly happy with the way it runs, and don't know if camming it up would make any happier. Lifters....that might be something to check into.

i posted how mine were chunking at 19k and think at 30 they would look just like yours i replaced um was disappointed with the deal to .. only reason i found mine was i was doing cams

Back