free website stats program 30,000 on an '07 | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

30,000 on an '07

.030" is the distance of a spark plug gap. I thought you had the decimal point in the wrong spot. I can't believe you did not feel that while the engine was running.

Sorry to hear that. You have some serious problems.

I was thinking the same thing. I had mine checked before the gear drives, it was .003" (marginal for gear drives). That is a THIN Human hair compared to the spark plug gap.

I would replace the tensioner and trade the bike. Or address the crank issue(exspensive).

Good Luck, That really stinks.

Sure helps fight the newbike fever.

I would replace the tensioner and trade the bike.

Yep. Those two G-rotor oil pumps would have to be trash. The bike would have to have near zero oil pressure.

I just can't believe he did not feel it in the bars. I would think it would have shook him out of his boots.

.03" Is excessive, as far as shaking I don't think a 1/32" is going to cause a massive vibration that your going to "feel"

as far as shaking I don't think a 1/32" is going to cause a massive vibration that your going to "feel"

Maybe so. I never have experienced it myself 1st hand & you have. Your actual 1st hand experience does trump my theory for sure.

But everything I have read does indicate that a scissored crank that is out by .015", you will feel. But of course I can be wrong since I have never experienced it 1st had.

I don't know why the engine doesn't have excessive vibration but I took this video for all to see. I showed to the service manager and he about fell out of his boots.
Harley :: 2007 Softail at 30,000 miles video by wildspirit97 - Photobucket
WoW!!!!!!......That's a bunch.
You got big trouble friend....guess it all comes down to how much you like the bike and how much you want to spend.
Even doing all the teardown/assembly work yourself, it's gonna be costly.

WS97...here is the thread where Bud inspected and replaced his tensioner shoes.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/engine_fuel_and_exhaust/28437-hyd_tensioner_setup_not_all_its_cracked_up_to_be.html

I noticed a difference in color of the tensioners in Wildspirits pics (orange) and the ones in the link to Buds pics (tan). I know one bike is '07 and one is '08. Is Harley using different materials, or is it just a difference in photos? I know one was with phone cam, but background colors look ok.

and the new ones i put in where almost white

I hear you Bud, I just saw a new poster who had the white ones...wonder if they are better and not just a color code change.

Not meaning to change the course of the thread, but WS97 has that amazing video showing the runout, painfully clear that there is an issue and serious work ahead to resolve it.

I hear you Bud, I just saw a new poster who had the white ones...wonder if they are better and not just a color code change.

Not meaning to change the course of the thread, but WS97 has that amazing video showing the runout, painfully clear that there is an issue and serious work ahead to resolve it.

Only time will tell I guess another 20k back apart. Wish I would have measured my crank when it wAs apart but figured no excessive vibration why bother
WAP.gif

Last edited:
Only time will tell I guess another 20k back apart. Wish I would have measured my crank when it wAs apart but figured no excessive vibration why bother
WAP.gif
Bud if it makes you feel any better about not checking, The closer inspection of the cam support plate was why I checked mine. The brass bushing that the crank shaft rides in looked sort of oblong to me, the back of the support plate were the oil pump sits was worn on one side and the end of the Crank shaft had some scaring were it rides inside the bushing. So if you didn't notice any of that your probably fine.
On the other hand I've never noticed any excessive vibration even being .030. In fact I think my Honda Shadow shows more vibration than the Softail.

Back