free website stats program 2014's are out | Page 11 | Harley Davidson Forums

2014's are out

I do have one other thought here for this thread. What is the longevity of these motors going to be? I would like honest opinions. They are now cooling the heads only. The basic design of the engine is the same as any twin cam. How are they allowing for the different rates of expansion and contraction of the metals?

My thought on COOLing the heads would allow total Cooling of the motor...

Our bikes (07 up TC's) Now Have Tremendous Heat and My bike (09 FLHR 96") showed it at my early re-build to 103 @ 65,000 miles.
Rear oil rings were carbon'd and Dimpled stuck were beyond my thinking they should have been AND of any Earlier TC I have run. HOT Oil carbon was my guess....(also all rings move up as close to the top as possible to allow the 3/8 stroker)

Earlier TC motors, (pre 07) were never the problem this late model showed.

I always tear into my bikes early and maybe several builds along the way.

Now on the water Cooled heads,,,,,,,,
I'd bet you'd get a good 100,000 OR more Before the Needed re-working the top end...

But Who could wait that Long????

Bigger is always Better,,, EH......

signed....BUBBIE

My thought on COOLing the heads would allow total Cooling of the motor...

Our bikes (07 up TC's) Now Have Tremendous Heat and My bike (09 FLHR 96") showed it at my early re-build to 103 @ 65,000 miles.
Rear oil rings were carbon'd beyond my thinking AND of any HD I have run. HOT Oil carbon was my guess....

Earlier TC motors, (pre 07) were never the problem this late model showed.

I always tear into my bikes early and maybe several builds along the way.

Now on the water Cooled heads,,,,,,,,
I'd bet you'd get a good 100,000 OR more Before the Needed re-working the top end...

But Who could wait that Long????

Bigger is always Better,,, EH......

signed....BUBBIE

I could be wrong but I would bet this is the introduction to complete engine cooling at some point with even a new designed v twin motor at the same time. There are a few things to shake out first, like water cooling the non faired bikes. Like someone has said before the possibilty of only needing one oil for engine trans combo....

Think about it if you would...

The "Fire" is where the REAL Heat Problem is and Not needing to cool the crank area Other than the primary...

I'd bet a lot and that is a LOT of heat from the heads travels down into the total Casting put together on our HD's...

Thinking Primary:
My primary even with MTL runs really HOT to the touch. Bet them Cylinder connect to the Heads MUST transfer a LOT of heat down... Aluminum does distrubite the HEAT you know..

What are anybody's thoughts here???

signed....BUBBIE.......

like i said in the past i have not been keeping up with this thread however. right now we all ride none water cooled bikes...the threads and problems that i have seen regarding heat problems are so few they are hardly worth mentioning.... i will stick with air cooling......i bought Harleys not BMW or any other manufactures bike.

i have a H.D. because that is what i wanted and it is air cooled...gee sometimes my H.D. gets hot, well so do i at 100 F

just a comment from me..that is all nothing more

like i said in the past i have not been keeping up with this thread however. right now we all ride none water cooled bikes...the threads and problems that i have seen regarding heat problems are so few they are hardly worth mentioning.... i will stick with air cooling......i bought Harleys not BMW or any other manufactures bike.

i have a H.D. because that is what i wanted and it is air cooled...gee sometimes my H.D. gets hot, well so do i at 100 F

just a comment from me..that is all nothing more

Valid point Lorne.... But as time marches on the almost hundred year old technology of the Harleys and the ever increasing demand of the EPA there comes a point to modernize. I wonder how or what the V-Star motorcycles that are air cooled, position is on air versus water cooling. I think this is a point in time that is begining of major change for the HD brand that has made them famous for all these years. :eam

Valid point Lorne.... But as time marches on the almost hundred year old technology of the Harleys and the ever increasing demand of the EPA there comes a point to modernize. I wonder how or what the V-Star motorcycles that are air cooled, position is on air versus water cooling. I think this is a point in time that is begining of major change for the HD brand that has made them famous for all these years. :eam

awww i don't want to change AGAIN!

you sound like me talking to my dad...:D

Back