free website stats program 2008 or 2009? | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 or 2009?

Fireguy

I am torn. I want to do so much to my bike I am thinking of buying a cvo. I did find a 2008 UC(new) for about 5K less than a 2009. Give me some ideas if it's worth it or not.

I got the 09 and have no complaints, but I only have 2k miles on it so far. $5k is a lot of money, and can buy a lot of accessories.. :)

Wait a bit longer and the 2010's will be out and who knows how much more they will come off of a 2008. I agree, $5000 is a lot of money. You can take your 2008, add a frame stabilizer if you wish, different exhaust and TFI to deal with heat, and you've almost got a 2009 with lots of cash left over.

I bought a left over new 2008 for 5K less myself in the end is your money and your call .. but have heard some frame complaints about the 2009 .. the 2008 is tried and true ... Now the ball is in your park ... although will leave this last word, most I know with 09's love them...

wondering what frame complaints you are referring to?

If I had to do it over again and knew what changes were coming in 2009, I would have never bought the 2008. The 2009 = redesigned frame, bigger rear tire, rerouted exhaust. But then again $5,000. is $5,000. I guess might be a tough choice. I have a stabilizer on my 2008 and its still the worst handling HD I ever owned. Sometimes I wish I never sold my 90 FLHS. At least that bike drove straight. Just My Personal Opinion from Actual Experience.

I have no idea of any frame complaints on a 09, In fact all I ever hear is it is better. It depends on what you want. I would no doubt get the 09 model. By the time you mod what you can trying to make the improvements you still won't be there and much of the 5K will be erased. Plus you will have a year older model which will completely erase whats left of the 5K. The wider tire, the improved frame, the improved exhaust and suspension plus a newer model year makes it a EZ decision IMO. There are other things as well, heat sheilds and deflectors, better stereo, better seat and so on. Get the 09. I think you will regret it if you don't. JMHO. I LOVE my 09.

wondering what frame complaints you are referring to?

Haven't seen anything on this forum yet but it's been discussed elsewhere. It's not a problem with the frame design - that is only getting rave reviews. Some folks apparently are discovering small cracks in the 09 frames. Incomplete welds or too thin steel used in certain areas. I'm just guessing since I'm not a mechanical engineer or a metallurgist. Just repeating what I've read elsewhere. Bottom line sounds like more of a QC problem to me.

Haven't seen anything on this forum yet but it's been discussed elsewhere. It's not a problem with the frame design - that is only getting rave reviews. Some folks apparently are discovering small cracks in the 09 frames. Incomplete welds or too thin steel used in certain areas. I'm just guessing since I'm not a mechanical engineer or a metallurgist. Just repeating what I've read elsewhere. Bottom line sounds like more of a QC problem to me.

thanks, I love this frame compared to my 2000rk as far as handling goes....I wonder where I should be looking for problems???

thanks, I love this frame compared to my 2000rk as far as handling goes....I wonder where I should be looking for problems???

Here's some crude cut/paste from his posts:

"Take a look 4,100 miles 2009 FLHTCU on my Shifter side Front Frame !

I was just changing my oil and saw this CRACK... May be from a Cold Weld !!"

"This is located on the Shifter side..

This is the Down Tube Part of the Frame..

This is in Lower Front of the Down Tube.... "

After reading through the entire thread, it appears it was a bad/missed weld and not a cracked frame. Also appears to be a totally isolated incident as NOONE else chimed in with even a remotely similar experience. I would relax and ride on!

Last edited:
I am torn. I want to do so much to my bike I am thinking of buying a cvo. I did find a 2008 UC(new) for about 5K less than a 2009. Give me some ideas if it's worth it or not.

I had the choice of a 2009 FLHTC or a 2008 FLHTC for at least 4k less.

The decision was simple: I went with the '08 and spent about a grand on some accessories. The Progressive Touring Link stabilizer eliminated the rear end waggle, and I installed the SE A/C and a pair of Khrome Werks 3.5" mufflers.

Would I have liked the '09? Sure. But, I tend to shy away from "Year One" vehicles... no matter who makes them.

Back