free website stats program 2008 or 2009? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 or 2009?

I can see if the year is brand new and no input to consider. They are no longer "new". Now that they have been around and are a winner go for the 09. Why would you buy a 08 and spend $$ to do all you can to make it a 09? You still have the old frame, old suspension, old tire,old exhaust system and more and you still have a 08. It just seems so EZ to me. If I were you, the only thing I would consider is waiting till the 2010 models come out in a month. You may want a 2010 or at the least the 09 will decrease in value. Wait for the 2010 then buy the 09 at a discounted price.

I'd spend the extra $ and buy the 09. Lots of improvements. Also, many dealers are trying to get rid of their 09 models now since the 2010 models are coming out in late July-early August.

Here's some crude cut/paste from his posts:

"Take a look 4,100 miles 2009 FLHTCU on my Shifter side Front Frame !

I was just changing my oil and saw this CRACK... May be from a Cold Weld !!"

"This is located on the Shifter side..

This is the Down Tube Part of the Frame..

This is in Lower Front of the Down Tube.... "

After reading through the entire thread, it appears it was a bad/missed weld and not a cracked frame. Also appears to be a totally isolated incident as NOONE else chimed in with even a remotely similar experience. I would relax and ride on!

Thanks for finding that....I feel better now....I have over 7k on this bike and I love it.....its been pretty filthy so I have gone over it head to toe a few times and haven't seen any frame issues, my 2000 had cracking powder coat around some of the welds.

Last edited:
As been said by many, plenty of positive feedback from many '09 owners. And good deals are going to be had as the 2010 model intros are only a month or so away.

As been said by many, plenty of positive feedback from many '09 owners. And good deals are going to be had as the 2010 model intros are only a month or so away.

Ditto. Grab the '09 since it's the end of the model year, because your dealer should be able to make you a great deal. I was apprehensive about upgrading to the '09 vs. keeping the great '05 that I had, and I have to tell you- YOU WON'T BE SORRY!! The new bike is an AWESOME machine, and a great ride.

I agree with some of the others, wait until the 10 models come out and you will feel a bit better going the new model. You get the 09 now and in another month it will be old when the 10's come out. I think the new frame is probably a very good thing and I would never buy a first year model (09's) because you just never know if the new processes used will work or if there will be problems found down the road, which they seem to be finding. Hopefully those problems will be resolved in the 10 model and they may even add something new for the mix. 08's are nice but once the 10's come out, that 5000.00 deal won't be as attractive as it is now. Basic speak, buy a 10.

With the 10s coming out, the 09 would be the way to go. At this point the 08 will never be as good as the 09s and the 10s will pretty much be the same as the 09s, You should be able to pick up an 09 at a good price. I'm yet to see a problem on my 09 SG. Its got 7000k and has never given a problem. Good luck.

I have had an 09 for 2 1/2 months with 6,500 miles now and I say go for the 09 but would look at the 10's. Have not seen any new specs yet. The newer ones are worth every penny!

10,000 miles on my Streetglide and no complaints or frame issues...been riding for 30 years all makes and models (this is my first Harley) and I really enjoy this ride. The 09 is an outstanding bike...if you can wait till they roll out the 2010 then grab one.:D

New is always better than old.That said, as things are now Im glad I got an 08.Might not be able to afford tires for one of those 09 models.

Back