free website stats program 2000 fxdl intermittent dying | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 fxdl intermittent dying

Thanks, it would be great to get the answer for that question.
This should be the procedure to extract your codes. Then use the earlier chart to match it up.

Attachments

• Page1_codes.pdf
    132.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Page2_codes.pdf
    126.8 KB · Views: 5
This should be what you have.

GRAY CONNECTOR
1 Red/white.......+5 reference voltage for cam & map sensor
2 Violet/white....map sensor output signal to ignition module (spark advance)
3 Green/White...cam sensor output to ignition module (Hall logic level signal)
4 BLANK..........not used
5 solid red.........crank sensor (+) (reluctance sensor)
6 solid black......crank sensor (-)
7 BLANK..........not used
8 Black/white....reference ground for cam and map sensor
9 BLANK..........not used
10 BLANK........not used
11 Green/Red....to serial data link connector
12 Violet/red......to serial data link connector

BLACK CONNECTOR
1 White/Black....... Main Battery power for ignition from the Run/Kill switch
2 Black................ Ground
3 BLANK...............not used
4 Black/yellow........illuminates "check engine light" in speedo.
5 BLANK................not used
6 Blue/Orange.........coil trigger, front cylinder
7 Yellow/Blue..........coil trigger, rear cylinder
8 BLANK.................not used
9 BLANK................not used
10 Green/Gray.......from bank angle sensor for killing ignition on bike tip-over
11 Black................Ground
12 Pink..................Output for Tach/RPM signal

i didn't get a code the 1st time i tried. so i got the bike together enough to take it for a spin, going around the complex it died. after pushing it into the shop i redid the scan procedure and got code 41. looks like the crank position sensor is playing games. i wonder if there was no code the first time since i unhooked all the wires going to the ignition control unit so i could check them?

now after i replace the crank position sensor is there a way to clear the memory on the ignition control unit?

i used a small alligator clip to jumper the 1 pins needed to get the code, worked well.

ran to the dealer cost 65buks out the door for a new crank position sensor. the updated sensor is a bit smaller (less of the sensor sticks up in the way of the oil filter) and requires me to reuse the plug under the seat.

how do i clear the codes stored in the ignition control unit? i look forward to going for a ride then checking to see if code 41 comes back.

thanks

i haven't had any over yet to lend a hand, im going to give it a try on my own here shortly before i put in the new sensor.

will the code clear its self once the motor runs properly with the new sensor or do i need to some how clear the memory? i dont see any info listed in the pdf's on how to clear codes.

thanks

No easy way to clear codes.

Only ways I know of is using a dealership scanner or just waiting for 50 key cycles without a current trouble code. It will then clear on it's own.

Daytona Tech sells a scanner tool that I think will also do it. But it's not cheap.

"Question,,, Would you be able to to measure the voltage on pin #10 (the Green/Gray wire) of the GRAY connector at the ignition module while the engine is running. (Voltmeter between Green/Gray wire and frame ground) "

i just checked, pin #10 is empty on my grey plug. pins 4,7,9,10 are blanks on the grey plug.

the black plug has 3,5,8,9 blank and pin#10 is a green wire.

"Question,,, Would you be able to to measure the voltage on pin #10 (the Green/Gray wire) of the GRAY connector at the ignition module while the engine is running. (Voltmeter between Green/Gray wire and frame ground) "

i just checked, pin #10 is empty on my grey plug. pins 4,7,9,10 are blanks on the grey plug.

the black plug has 3,5,8,9 blank and pin#10 is a green wire.

Sorry my mistake. I meant pin #10 of the Black connector. Yes, that green wire.

Back