free website stats program 2000 fxdl intermittent dying | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 fxdl intermittent dying

That should not be. There is no review. Was it important info.

since i have less than 4 posts im guessing the site automatically holds large posts....

im scratching my head on this one, what is the process for using

"Just for information only, the diagnostic plug is pins 8, 10, 7, and 9"

to get the like to blink out the code? is there a thread explain how to pull the codes off the ignition module? the pdf shows "table 2 and table 3" is there a page missing from the pdf that has table 1 showing how to get the codes?

really is a let down my official factory manual doesn't have any of this info just a note saying i need another manual. i just looked up ignition module and it has the same note i listed before referring to another manual for diagnostics.

thanks

I do, but it depends on that 16 pin connector and the wire colors. That is why I asked. If your wires match in number and color, I can upload the schematics.

there are 2 plugs one grey one black, both connectors have 2 rows of 6 pins each. the ignition module is a black box with 1 screw on opposite sides holding it to the frame. the grey connector looks to have 9 wires in it and the black one looks like it has 8 wires. i can pull everything out more and double check the wire count if that helps figure out what model ignition the bike is equipped with.

thanks

1) The site doesn't hold large posts. Was the information that got deleted important.

2) Yes, there is a simple way to pull codes without a scanner. I can upload procedure, but since you don't get the "8 second light" after boot, there should be no codes stored.

Somethings not right. My 2000 Dyna Low manual (not Genuine) shows just 16 wires going to the ignition module. And your bike actually has 24 possible positions for wires.

But my 2000 Softail manual shows two connectors w/ 24 wires just like what you have. Strange.... Something must be wrong with my manual.
By chance do you have 8 non-populated positions for wires? That would account for the missing positions on my schematics.

i found this via Google, it looks to be the same ignition module as what my bike is equipped with.

mini-100_3037.jpg

mini-100_3038.jpg

arg,..... i see another missing post, but i for sure read the message after hitting post and it said admin had to approve it. all it had was 2 photos showing the module my bike is equipped with. so i will try to post them as links.

http://bradleyscycles.com/wp-content/uploads/products_img/mini-100_3037.jpg

http://bradleyscycles.com/wp-content/uploads/products_img/mini-100_3038.jpg

any how....... the first time i took the bike in for service i got a call from the dealer to double check its year as the tech doing the service was confused what year it was. i never found out what was confusing about my oil change and primary chain adjustment but its build date is 3-00. i wonder if this could be a crossover year for some parts used on the bike.

I think I have it figured out. You should have 8 positions that are not populated. This is what you have correct?

GRAY CONNECTOR
1 Red/white
2 Violet/white
3 Green/White
4 BLANK
5 solid red
6 solid black
7 BLANK
8 Black/white
9 BLANK
10 BLANK
11 Green/Red
12 Violet/red

BLACK CONNECTOR
1 White/Black
2 Black
3 BLANK
4 Black/yellow
5 BLANK
6 Blue/Orange
7 Yellow/Blue
8 BLANK
9 BLANK
10 Green/Gray
11 Black
12 Pink

checked the plugs, there are 4 open spots in each plug. and the wire combos listed above seem to match-up with what i can remember running back from the shop to the pc.

OK, then my book is correct. They just did not label the pins on the schematics I have.
I will be happy to upload the code extract procedure along with complete schematics if you like.

Question,,, Would you be able to to measure the voltage on pin #10 (the Green/Gray wire) of the GRAY connector at the ignition module while the engine is running. (Voltmeter between Green/Gray wire and frame ground)
This will answer a haunting question I have from several months ago when I was helping another member with a problem very similar to yours.

Back