free website stats program 1997 HD FLH failures after 50 miles | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1997 HD FLH failures after 50 miles

Yes, tried on several occasions to get it to show a code. The engine light has come on going down the highway a few times, but can't get it to show a code.

Yes, tried on several occasions to get it to show a code. The engine light has come on going down the highway a few times, but can't get it to show a code.

Wonder IF HD needs to use their What Ya call it? to hook in to read the code ?
Light on, surly a code there...

signed....BUBBIE

Capital Jack, Rode 80 miles today. No hesitation. Engine light came on a few times, but no problems riding. Tomorrow going to try 200 miles, and see how it runs. Have friend with a Cycle Dealership and shop I am going to see tomorrow, if he has a scanner, so I can find out what is causing the light.

Replaced the crank sensor, after HD used a scanner and could find no codes. The sensor had part of it melt down. Had it missing and studdering after about 50 miles on two occasions then clear up. Removed the lowers and on the next good day going to try again to see if the additional airflow improves the ride. Checked the gas tank and listened for any noises after ignition turned on to see if a hose had a leak. Got a factory manual now. Service Manager at HD said the (EDIT) ecm on 97 and 98s Marelli go bad. And HD no longer stocks item. Replacements available are S&S and around 500.

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Found a new HD ECM on ebay and purchased it. Will install when it gets here to see if that was the problem. Unfortunately without being able to read a code on the current ecm, I will have to replace parts until problem solved. Hopefully the new ecm will show a code if problem continues.

1997 HD FLHTCUI with 29,000 actual miles. After riding over 50 miles, when I come to a stop, engine studders, misfiring, oil pressure drops, tried to check code on engine light with no results. If I ease the throttle up, and slowly take off it smooths out. Checked and made sure ignition switch was replaced during recall and it was. This has occurred 3 times so far, with outside temps in 80s. beginning to wonder with lowers, if it is getting hot?:(

Have you checked the main circuit breaker? 29K miles is a bit early for it to start failing but those early CBs were known to lose capacity over time from heat; they are located right behind the rear cylinder which is a real heat generator. Symptoms are very similar to what you describe, shutting down but restarting and running OK again after a cool down.

Could be the connection, could be the breaker has just lost capacity from heat. IIRC, the breake is rated at 40A but if it has lost capacity it migh trip at 30A. Just a thought, seem you have checked or replaced almost everything else.:newsmile058:

Have you checked the main circuit breaker? 29K miles is a bit early for it to start failing but those early CBs were known to lose capacity over time from heat; they are located right behind the rear cylinder which is a real heat generator. Symptoms are very similar to what you describe, shutting down but restarting and running OK again after a cool down.

Could be the connection, could be the breaker has just lost capacity from heat. IIRC, the breake is rated at 40A but if it has lost capacity it migh trip at 30A. Just a thought, seem you have checked or replaced almost everything else.:newsmile058:

My 97 FLHT got recalled for a faulty main breaker and ignition switch, you may call your local dealer for info on the breaker

Rode it again today, 70 miles. Voltage did not drop, when running rough, at 38 miles, 58 miles, 68 miles, and 70 miles hesitation and engine light for some reason. Hoping new ECM will cure it, or let me know what code is coming up.

Back