free website stats program 1997 HD FLH failures after 50 miles | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

1997 HD FLH failures after 50 miles

I checked with HD and the ignition switch and breaker were replaced on a recall.

The breaker was replaced with another like the original; doesn't mean the replacement breaker has not broken down and lost capacity. Most that replace the main CB replace with a 50A. Guys were still having issues with the main CB in '02 and '03.

I replaced the 40A with a 50A this morning. Same problem at 14.5 and 28.9 miles. Hoping the new ECM will cure it, or hold a code for the Dealer to figure it out.

I replaced the 40A with a 50A this morning. Same problem at 14.5 and 28.9 miles. Hoping the new ECM will cure it, or hold a code for the Dealer to figure it out.

Have you tried cool air on the nose cone? Just wondering if the sensor in there is overheating?

It does have a chrome thick cover over the thin inside plate. I may take off the outside cover to see if it makes a difference tomorrow.

Got the brand new ecm today. Was careful to be grounded while handling, and installed it. Rode 60 miles with 3 phantom engine lights, but no engine problems while riding. I think I got it done. Will go to Gator HD and have them scan the new ecm to see if anything stored. I feel better about riding distance now, such as 3 and 4 thousand mile trips.

" I also wanted to write to address your phantom engine lights. I have messed around with EFI and lot and just wanted to pass along a couple things. I don't know the specifics of your problem but if you are getting these intermittent check engine lights, especially when the bike gets up to temp, you may want to pull on all your wires going from frame to engine with a hooked pick. It is getting more common as these bikes get older for the copper wire inside the insulation to break from the vibration. The wire looks fine from the outside but the copper is broken. When the bike is cold, the insulation holds the wire together. When the bike heats up, the insulation stretches and then you get an intermittent. If you have one of these wires, when you pull on it it will stretch and you can easily find the break in the wire. Areas of specific interest are the throttle body and especially the engine temp sensor. Anyway, my two cents. Thanks again!"

- hd_mechanic

I got this message from a friend in NC. I think I am going to check the wiring next.

Back