free website stats program 09 Ultra Clutch | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

09 Ultra Clutch

I run Mobil synthetic transmission fluid in the primary on my 098 Ultra, 30,000 miles two up and shifts smooth neutral is easy to find and the clutch is solid

Mobil 1 V Twin 20w 50w

Please note, many posters have been worried about using 100% Synthetic motor oil which is SLIPPERY as well as heat resistant...GOOD for engines, BAD for clutches. You might be the low 5% of users using 100% Synthetic where dino (petrol) based gear lubes would be more appropriate. It is the same misgivings that 4 Stroke Multi-cylinder Metric Sportbike eh "us ol' time Rice Burners" were hesitant using them in our high horsepower, high strung machines. I never used 100% Syn anywhere where a clutch was dipped in the mixture...JMHO :57:

Here is the skinny of Syn3 and tranny/clutch/primary use...

http://www.hdtimeline.com/transmiss...rive_train/927-syn_3_in_the_transmission.html

The saving grace for HD dealer's Syn3 use, comes at your expense. It is a blend of dino & syn so the problems will show up long after your warranty is over...no problem for THEM, big problems for YOU! Did they put the 100% Syn in your tranny...? I doubt it, otherwise you would have a leg to stand on, but even then, it is hard to prove the OIL caused the slipping clutch SYMPTOM.

Last edited:
the first replacement at 12k cost $435.00. They said it was a normal wear item. Choice, pay or not get the bike back.

Just curious, but what dealer was this.....I've found that most of the dealers in the DFW area can be "shadey" at times :s .......I think you may want to follow Smitty's advice and have a "chat" with the owner, and/or call HD customer service....JMO

Back