free website stats program 09 Ultra Clutch | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

09 Ultra Clutch

Are you sure it was oil related? Mobil 1 is an excellent oil and is specified for sole use in many of the high end cars from the factory.

Send the tank truck here! :D

Glider I am telling you,, it had to be the oil. I am talking everything from auto engines, to Honda lawn mowers to ordinary door hinges. In every application I used Mobil 1 in, it did not work as good as a simple 20-50 Kendal GT-1.
I had a horrendous nightmare using Mobil 1 in 2 auto engines.. I don't know maybe it was me,, but I can't go near that oil anymore.

You should be hearing the tankers air brakes pulling up to the house by now!!:p

Enjoy!!!

When you say it didn't work as good as the Kendal GT-1, how are you comparing them if the M1 damaged the product, also what are you comparing as far as the two oils? Is it lubricating properties or what? Just trying to get a feel for why you say this being it's a very good oil IMO used in some of the very high end cars.

Also "it had to be the oil", why do you say this? What problems did you have?

Oil, of course, is a matter of great debate. Especially within the HD community. And, more than anything, seems to boil down to a matter of personal preferrence.
Wishing to step on no ones toes, or offend anyone, I will add this to the conversation.

I will not use Mobil 1 in any of my vehicles for the same reason stated by Hoople.
I had an engine failure that was caused by Mobil 1, and Mobil would not stand behind their product.
Even after bieng sent the failed parts, an oil sample, much correspondence, and eventually the threat of court action. The best they would do was cover 50% of the cost of the parts.
Lesson learned.
I will not use their product.
......And my father was a 40 year Mobil employee.
JMO....and worth what it cost ya.

Oh your right Glider, it does come as standard oil on several high end automobiles. I don't know if it means a whole lot but those engines have designed clearances to use that oil (or at least thin/high flowing synthetics) . I can only point my finger at the oil for my problems because in every case I was using Mobil 1 oil.

This is the way I see oils. Just using an oil for a period of time and not having "any problems" tells me nothing. Oil should control wear & the 2 biggest wear areas you want to control (at least for me) in an automobile engine is cam lobe wear and cylinder wall wear. If you can't reduce Cam lobe wear & cylinder Wall wear the rest is meaningless to me.

If you can measure (which you can) cam lift/lobe wear and cylinder wall/piston ring wear, after so much mileage and see no wear, that oil, to me is working and doing its job.

Do we agree so far?

Hoop!

Do we agree so far?

Hoop!

Not entirely Hoop.

Contrary to popular belief, most any oil will work in an engine, some better than others and IMO any failures that are experienced in an engine would be hard pressed to attribute it to the oil itself (assuming proper changing intervals are practiced) and not a mechanical problem such as the oil pump etc.
Mobil 1 especially is a very good oil and I can't agree that it was a cause of a failure and that it wasn't other contributing factors other than the oil, maybe oil dilution from some source or over/under filling the oil level, oil pump malfunction etc, but the oil itself being the cause of the failure I find it hard to fathom.
I've been working on motors since 1969 and as yet have never seen a failure that especially could be attributed to the oil proper and not other underlying problems.
I also can't go along with the theory of engines being built with different tolerances because of the Mobil 1 that is suggested for use in these models.

Not trying to be argumentative about the oil but I have put a lot of time behind a wrench and only relaying what I have experienced.

Not trying to be argumentative about the oil but I have put a lot of time behind a wrench and only relaying what I have experienced.

Me to Glider. I am just going by some bad experiences I had with the oil.
I probably should clarify what a "failure" to me is. By failure I don't mean the engine spun a bearing or threw a rod. To me a failure is premature wear on a part that should not have wore out in the period of time it was in use. All my failures were pre-mature worn out parts.

This particular problem may have been caused by adding too much gas treatments (injector cleaner) in my tank so I don't know if it was self inflicted. But here is 1 example from years back...
I bought a new Acura Legend V6 & ran dino oil till 7K because everyone I spoke to said you have to break in the engine with dino oil because Mobile 1 is just too slippery.(??) Now imagine what I am thinking. I have to wait to 7 thousand miles because this oil is "Just too Good"! Ok, so I break in the engine with dino oil (7K) and then switch over to using Mobile 1, 10/30 and change the oil every 2,000-2,500 along with installing Genuine Acura oil filter. This engine had a 6 qt oil pan. Glider, I took car of this car like it was my baby. NEVER overheated the engine. Only driver was myself. All hoses/ vacuum / water/ filters/ impeccable maintenance. You could not baby a car more than I did.
At 75 thousand miles the engine started having a rough idle. It continued to get worse, then at 85,000 I decided to fix it. Low and behold, the compression was gone. I took a cylinder leakage test on it and had 22% percent leakage in two cylinder and 18% in 4 cylinders. On the 4 cylinders that had 18% leakage, NONE of it was going pass the valves. ALL of it was past the rings.
I had friends who also had this same engine. This engine was also used in the English Sterling. It was a proven motor. My engine was shot. It was loose as a goose.

I know this is not enough conclusive data to say Mobil 1 is not a good oil. But to me, if it can not reduce cylinder wall wear or ring wear from splash oiling, what good is it. Remember the oil pump is out of the picture in this case.
Changed oil every 2500 miles, Mobil 1, Never overheated, oil pump out of picture,18% leakage pass the Rings Only. I should have took off the heads just to see what was inside but after thinking what I spent on changing the oil every 2500 miles ($35 X 30+ times) I just dumped the car.

This is just 1 example and I would never come to a conclusion based on 1 example. There are others. I just can't afford to keep giving that oil another try.
I don't know. It's probably me because others have gotten great results from it.

I wouldn't be so fast to blame the oil for your problems. Spun bearings and premature wear on rings isn't necessarily the fault of the oil IMO. Chances are if you were using the dino oil that you broke it in with the same problems would have happened. I think it's a bit harsh to blame the oil for these problems myself.

Just my .02 cents worth on this subject,with dino oils I find Mobil breaks down quickly,seems to lose it's Viscosity quickly.So I run Rotella or Castrol.
As far as a true synthetic Mobil is one of the best out there.

:pI don't think the oil breaks down it just gets drity so i would say it's doing it job
you just have to change it more:s

Back