free website stats program '09 FLHP Losing Power | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

'09 FLHP Losing Power

Filled up today, 4.7 gallons got me 120 miles. 25 mpg. Yikes. Granted, 50 of those miles were at 100 mph, and that eats gas, but still.

Waiting on shipment, new induction module will be in this week.

Any you are complaining about a "loss of power"? Can't resist.

Replaced the induction module and injectors, problem still exists.

All I can think now is to look for issues in the wiring between the twist grip sensor and the throttle body, or the twist grip sensor itself. Gonna have to do some research and look up fixing/replacing connectors and pins.

I also hear the connector between the twist grip sensor and harness is particularly fragile, I may have to fish it out of the ape hangers and check it out too.

Replaced the induction module and injectors, problem still exists.

All I can think now is to look for issues in the wiring between the twist grip sensor and the throttle body, or the twist grip sensor itself. Gonna have to do some research and look up fixing/replacing connectors and pins.

I also hear the connector between the twist grip sensor and harness is particularly fragile, I may have to fish it out of the ape hangers and check it out too.

Did this bike have apes on it when you bought it? Just thinking there could be a problem in the wiring

Ape hangers would have been a key piece of info. Breeze was on to something back at entry #27............

Apes were on when I bought it, logic was that if there was a faulty connection it'd throw a code, and since it didn't, I looked at mechanical issues first. Now it's wiring.

Oscar,

One thing out of this IS; You have a Clean, better made, Newer intake manifold.

IF like mine that came off and the newer one on,,, Totally Better than the 09 stock one.

You can probably put the 09 on E-bay and sell it for about as much as you paid for the newer one.:s

Hope you find the problem. IT does sound line wiring because of the Apes.

signed....BUBBIE

Yeah, that's why I did the manifold before pulling the bars, even if if didn't solve the problem it was worth changing it out.

OK, pretty sure I got it now...

Replaced the twist grip sensor, and bike is now running much better. Rode 300+ miles this weekend, no real problems. Fuel economy is back in range and no power loss felt, throttle is more responsive.

As for replacing the sensor, that was a task. I pulled the sensor out just until I could reach the wiring, and removed the headlight and handlebar clamp shroud so I could feed the harness through. Gave one little pull, felt a pop, and started the bike to no throttle at all. Broke the connector in the bars....

What's more, the connector, which turned out to be two connectors at the end of a 6 inch extension harness, stuck in the bar, wedged against the start/run switch cluster harness. Couldn't get a fish tape, or any kind of snake, through at all. I removed the harness, found it to be extended with butt connectors, and rewired it with solders and shrink tube, much more reliable and not subject to failure when pulling back through the bars. Eliminated the connectors both on that harness and the twist grip sensor harness, soldered and shrink sealed all the way through.

The local dealer had a TGS with a long harness already, fit with extra length in my 18" rise bars, and that was nice to see as opposed to having to extend it.

Give it another few weeks, but seems like I got it right now...

Attachments

• 2014-02-06 19.56.15.jpg
    2014-02-06 19.56.15.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 22
Back