free website stats program '09 FLHP Losing Power | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

'09 FLHP Losing Power

Throttle control actuator is definitely my next focus, I'm going to try hitting it with throttle body cleaner. Is there anything I need to be careful of in this procedure? Is it ok to hit the TMAP sensor with solvents, or manually cycle the butterfly to get behind it?

The solvent I used is Throttle body cleaner, which is SUPPOSED to be gentler
than carb. cleaner. As I mentioned, not familiar with FBW and if you can damage anything by manually opening the butterfly. I lock my butterfly open (twist grip), and stuff very clean rags into the manifold to try and prevent the cleaner from getting in the cyl. and maybe washing into the oil.

Pete, thanks for the link, definitely a similar issue. Bubbie, I'm cash poor at the moment so trying to repair inexpensively before I have to buy more parts, but it may very well come down to a new intake manifold, found a few almost new, with injectors, for $150 on ebay, not bad at all.

That being said...

Today I tested the crankshaft position sensor, it was putting out 3.5 - 3.9 vac, certainly within range. I removed the starter and removed and cleaned the vehicle speed sensor in the tranny, a mechanic had suggested that it is magnetic and may be covered in metal fuzz. It was not, thankfully, just a small bit of residue, I cleaned it up and reinstalled.

What I did do that I'm guessing was the most significant repair today was to clean the intake manifold. Had someone lean the bike to the right to prevent too much solvent from running into the motor and got to work with shop towels and throttle body cleaner. Took quite a bit of black residue out, as well as making sure to clean the butterfly valve all around and on its pivot.

Bike now runs far quicker and snappier. Almost tossed me in second gear on a corner cause I cracked the throttle and I'm used to slow power. I can't say for sure without a few more miles and a bit more traffic to contend with to be in a speed up-down situation, but it absolutely feels better. A tank of gas to figure average mpg would help assess the situation as well.

Attached is a picture of the front spark plug, rear is identical. These have been in about 1000 miles, look to me to be a bit on the black side of brown but not terrible.

Attachments

• 2014-01-16 13.13.45.jpg
    2014-01-16 13.13.45.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 22
Oscar,

My intake on the manifold was LOADED with Dirty /abrasive feeling oily mix adhered to the inside. On another forum, I suggested for them to remove to clean BUT it sounds like you were on top of it as I would have done the Lean Also... BUT mine needed replacing.

Putting the Breather tubes to Ground or a can is what I plan to do in the near future. It is disgusting all the residue from the oil BUT where did all that Abrasive come from....By Passing the air filter? (on mine):bigsmiley25:

What year is that E-bay one ? IF newer than an 09, they had Better motors in them. This information came from joe_lyons50023 from another forum I belong. He is a HD shop worker or Owner of one.

I am not interested in the unit but just saying 2010 or newer and Mine was from a 800 mile take off 2012 (125$). The injectors by themselves close to that price alone if NEW...

Good buy IF you need it.

signed....BUBBIE

Well, a bit of hope has showed itself. I see some things fitting together. If the butterfly opening is hampered, but the injectors are still getting the same signal, fuel is going in, but not enough air for efficient combustion, so it's doggy and mpg suffers. I wonder if the butterfly is binding, getting a bad signal or something else I have yet to learn about. I know you reseated your TBW connector, but wonder if one/some pins are not making a good connection with each other, or with the wire they are connected to?
I'll try and look at a parts diagram of the throttle body and see if I can make a guess of what might be going on.
You are getting somewhere!! :)

Bubbie, unit I found is 2013, owner claims 20 miles on it. $150 w/ new injectors is indeed a steal, and if the bike still doesn't ride right in the next few days I'll pick this or a similar one up.

2013 Harley Induction Module Throttle Body w Injectors 08 Later Touring Models | eBay

One thing I will say is the casting on the one on ebay, as you said, looks far better. The intake throat on mine was rough, looked like it had little flat spots of hardened oil on it but I could not scrape it off, concluded it was just a poor, unpolished casting. Should have taken a picture, too dark out now...

Pete, yeah, agreed. I had problems with my 08 FLHR TBW, went into limp home mode, check engine light, dealership diagnosed as twist grip sensor, incorrectly. In a few days it was limp home mode again, a trailer back to the dealership and a very annoyed rider. This time they replaced the whole induction module, no more issues after that. But they both threw codes, and if it were a wiring issue as opposed to a bad or worn out servo motor in the module I would lean towards it throwing codes again. It is of course possible... It would explain the intermittence of the problem if a wire was vibrating in and out of position.

Pete's Post:

If the butterfly opening is hampered, but the injectors are still getting the same signal, fuel is going in, but not enough air for efficient combustion, so it's doggy and mpg suffers. I wonder if the butterfly is binding, getting a bad signal or something else I have yet to learn about.

That is the JOB of the motor on the manifold that I am talking about. It controls the Butterfly and that is it's total job.

Other forum and good Knowledgeable techs SAY: " 09's had a serious problem with the motor on the manifold. MANY needed replacing."

signed....BUBBIE

Back