free website stats program 07' FLSTC Left Ignition On - Dead Battery | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

07' FLSTC Left Ignition On - Dead Battery

Billbo I always use the kill switch old habits die hard
I have done that plenty - but when I park - walk away - I always wonder "did I leave that ignition/lights ON? Sometimes it bothers me so bad, I have to walk back just to check and make sure. hummm - I think I will just have to make that my wife's job - to remind me to turn it off - then when I dont - guess who will be to blame!!! Oh well, we all know that wont work!! (smile)

Well Boys and girls, I sent the local dealer an email and asked them, ~"I have a question that I can't find an answer to in my owners manual. It says to shut the engine off by using the run/off switch. Why? And what is wrong with turning the engine off by using the ignition switch?"~ And here is the reply I received back, ~"On fuel injected models it is somewhat more important, but the main reason is so the ignition control can still have power while the engine is shutting down to record any issues."~ Well I finally have a legitimate reason to continue using the kill switch to shut the engine down... Isn't all this new technology just wonderful or not.... It hurts to think that the age of the Shovelhead is fading so fast.... :(

Nogoslim,
Thanks for the post regarding the reason. Makes sense and makes me feel better about my habit of using the kill switch. I like listening to the radio while backing my bike to the parked postion, which requires the key on. LOL!

Nogoslim; Yea, Thanks for the post. Now there is a legitimate and plauseable reason to use the kill switch. I have always been on the "other" side of the fence on this issue, now I have no reason. I'm quite impressed that the dealer knew this.

It also aids in initializing the components in the system on start up too. They "talk" to each other and can verify any problems and set a code too.

I never use it anyway :D

~"On fuel injected models it is somewhat more important, but the main reason is so the ignition control can still have power while the engine is shutting down to record any issues."~ . :(

Wow, that is a very good point. That certainly is a good reason to do it that way which never crossed my mind..

It also aids in initializing the components in the system on start up too. They "talk" to each other and can verify any problems and set a code too.

I never use it anyway :D
You NEVER use it! Oh my gosh. (how do I put smiley faces in my posts?) BIG ole SMILE!!!! I had (key word HAD) a 2000 chevy p/u and the 'service engine' light was on way more than it was off - almost constantly. The truck ran OK all the time - BUT I could not get it inspected with that service engine lite on. I HATE 'service engine' lights! I think someone really did too much over thinking when they invented that light!!!
BTW - when I sold the truck - it had 163,000 miles on it and was still running good.

Sometimes I use the kill switch and sometimes I dont. But I ALWAYS have to make sure my headlights are not left on and running down my battery!!!

Bill

Engine light, trouble codes, like-em or hate-em, I still like to know what the ECM is sensing. I hate some of the new technology too, but once I started to learn how to work with it, I find that it's really got its benefits over the old school. When my engine light comes on, I don't get scared and take it to a dealer, I get the books out (also I come to this sight) and look into what its trying to say or tell me... I'll take all the information I can get when taking care of my 'black child' ( my scooter is black, no offense intended to any race). I agree, for some, this, :newsmile040:, would really be the best 'check engine' light icon....

I still like to know what the ECM is sensing.

It's measuring different values that are pre programmed into the ECM and reports on anything that is outside the parameters by lighting the check engine light which returns a code for the user to decipher and find the problem.
:newsmile040:

Back