free website stats program 07' FLSTC Left Ignition On - Dead Battery | Harley Davidson Forums

07' FLSTC Left Ignition On - Dead Battery

nogoslim

Well I finally did it. I have a 2007 FLSTC with a ThunderMax w/autotune. My trouble is I spent 2 hours visiting at a friends house and I left my ignitions on. Needless to say, my battery was dead. No lights or anything electric would work. I hooked it by jumpers to a car battery, motor on car not running, but still no power to anything. I tried to initialize the module, but still no sign of any power to my bike. I checked all my fuses, all test good including the main 40 amp fuse. It was to cold to fool around anymore, so I pulled the battery and got a ride home. My battery is now on a two amp charger while I scan my service manual and my downloaded SmartLink IV Tuning Manual for a heads up lead as to my next step. Thought I'd try posting my dilemma here on HD Talking. Is anyone willing to admit to the same problem that could help me out? I figure after the battery is charged and put back in the bike, I would just try to re-initialize the module and hope it starts. This is my reward for being stupid and leaving the switch on.....
:help

Don't have an answer to your question, but am very interested in finding out what worked. I have a ThunderMax in my Dyna and have wondered what would happen if I let the battery go dead.

Hope you get it worked out fairly painlessly

Don't have an answer to your question, but am very interested in finding out what worked. I have a ThunderMax in my Dyna and have wondered what would happen if I let the battery go dead.

Hope you get it worked out fairly painlessly

Hi Retired Jake, ya I'm the fool who forgot to turn off the ignition. I rode through Tennessee on my 74' Triumph Trident back in 1975. Love those Tennessee hills, wish I was still back there... I'll call Zippers in the morning, they have great customer service. I talked to them back when I didn't have a problem, so I know they'll help me out if I don't find help here...
:(

did this with a 80 shovel head burned up the coil lesson learned

No lights or anything electric would work. I hooked it by jumpers to a car battery, motor on car not running, but still no power to anything.
:help

I can not see how it could be anything more than a dead battery. You should be able to remove the ECM completely and still have Lights. My guess would be when you jumped your battery the jumper cables were not making good contact. I would not have dug up the electronics before I charged my battery. Even if you burned out the coil, I would think the lights would come on.

I know now on some cars the ECM does drive some lights but I don't think that is the case here.

Nogoslim, likely now a dead battery, as normal float charge type batteries do not fair well to deep discharge. Could be that is all, may also have blown fuse(s) if you jumped the battery from a live running vehicle (source vehicle should be OFF and a "stout jumper cable run between it and the bike).

Hopefully nothing was damaged, but if you had a totally discharged battery and jumped to a live running vehicle, you may get voltage/current transients that could FRY the ECM, TSSM and Voltage Regulator as there is not big battery to suppress them. Deep discharge should NOT require you to reflash firmware in either...the ECM or TSSM.

I agree, especially if it was cold it probably really killed the battery, ad it is possible for a voltage spike to maybe have damaged something, but hopefulyy not. I would try the recharged battery first.

Thanks all. Woke up this morning to green light on my automatic 2 amp charger. I'll be heading back over to put it in my scooter. After a night of reading all the ThunderMax manual information, I am fairly sure it will be ok :38:. The worst, I hope, might just be to initialize the module. I post the results later. Thanks again to all the responses! This truly is a great site, with a wealth of great people and helpful information. Once I get it running, then I can beat myself up for being stupid... :hummer
Slim

Don't beat yourself up. We all do it from time to time. Modern electronics are pretty forgiving. It is what it is. Just move on and try to remember to turn off your key. Went on a ride today and three of the guys left their lights (ign,) on several times and had to be reminded.

Perhaps the MOCO will help us out as we all age and build in an auto "turn off" if ignition left on for say 10 minutes w/o starting engine.

Back