free website stats program 07' FLSTC Left Ignition On - Dead Battery | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

07' FLSTC Left Ignition On - Dead Battery

Diagnostics is a heap better than the old school panic red engine light of old that would basically tell you no oil pressure...and usually too late for you to do anything to prevent further damage.

In the old days not much better than a silent cry for HELP! Not my idea of decent troubleshooting tool...just an attention getter. Only thing more useless is the Engine reminder light of today, merely a mileage logger, to have your ride smogged and dealer charging you $100 to reach up and reset or their special OBEDII tool to electronically reset it. :newsmile040:

Last edited:
I always hit the kill switch first and then the ignition switch second when shutting down the bike. And, of course, that often leads to leaving the ignition switch on by mistake and running down the battery. I mentioned this to my neighbor and he suggested a solution. He leaves the radio turned on all the time at low volume. If you forget to turn off the ignition swtich you can hear the radio playing and that is your reminder to turn off the ignition. Has worked for me ever since.

I did the same thing a couple of days ago....went into a store, left the console switch on, came out to a battery so low it wouldn't start. Lucky for me I had AAA motorcycle addon. They came out and jumped it.

Question: I'm thinking of putting a cutoff switch to the dual headlights (RG) to be able to turn the ignition back on without them. I'm thinking that my bike might have started if the battery wasn't powering the headlights at the same time. Would having the headlights off made a whole lot of difference? I realize it depends on how low the battery was, but just wondering if a) it's worth doing, and b) if any harm could be done, like is the computer looking for a headlight load when the bike starts?

Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.

BTW, after a 1amp charge over night, the battery was ok this morning. Still going strong for the original 03 stock battery!

Still going strong for the original 03 stock battery!

You are way over your batteries useful life. Your going to take out your regulator, and if you don't catch that soon enough, your stator will soon follow. I would have changed it long ago.

Good to know. I used to just run my old fxr batteries into the ground.

I'll go shopping tomorrow. Thanks.

Good call Hoop & Prof...trying to "extend battery life" other than standard Battery Tender will not buy you much...but additional stress on your charging system. More than 6 years out of a modern battery with high plate density but little electolyte capacity means it is designed for full charge only operation with little water loss tolerated. If either happens over the life of the battery, it's useful life will be shortened. Not that we would EVER run down our batteries or OVERCHARGE it over 5 or 6 years...

Have forgot to turn off my ignition switch and have to go back and turn it off. I all ways turn and look at my bike as I am walking off. Don't ask why I do it. Maybe because the new hasn't worn off of it yet. I see my headlight on and have to turn off the iginition.

Developing good "HABITs" is a great way of making sure you do what needs doing. You must do it the same way every time, with no deviations due to circumstances, or you negate the habit development. Inconvenience is your friend. I (internally) count to myself as I shut down: 1) Run stop off, 2) Ignition off, 3) passing lights off (don't want them on when I start next time). Then, good rules are helpful, such as, "Never go more than 3 steps away from an unlocked scooter (ignition and forks - I have a road king where they are separate). Again, inconvenience is your friend. Requiring a locked ignition is that double check to its being turned off. Inconvenient habits lose their inconvenience significantly, once they become habits.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back