free website stats program '03 Road King Classic - Getting worse rather than better | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

'03 Road King Classic - Getting worse rather than better

Just an update for those that have a sputtering scooter: 03 RKC

1) The fuel line in the tank had 3 pin holes in it - replaced
2) while in there, I replaced the fuel filter and regulator
3) I broke the darned Fuel Pump taking the clamp off - replaced ( Bud's in Austin is GREAT )
4) Changed the TPS sensor

No change in performance

5) Put her in the shop - The throttle body shaft was snapped. I didnt see it because the TPS sensor was holding it in place. I never would have found it. They replaced the entire throttle body.

She's running perfectly now......But Lo and Behold....its raining in Texas....the ride will wait till tomorrow.

For those of you that are a tad skeered to "work" on your own bike.....get a shop manual and change your fuel filter yourself....you'll be amazed at what blows out of that. You'll also be amazed at what you'll learn about your own bike. Makes one appreciate it that much more

My first time "working" on the bike: ( and I'm simply an ex Amish Guy that's far from a mechanic )
1) I surely know the fuel system.....yuck yuck ( saved 300 )
2) complete brake job front and back ( Saved 150)
3) Rear tire replaced. ( saved 100 )

Had I not done the fuel line, fuel filter and regulator, they would have got me for 4 hours for diagnostics and troubleshooting (??)

Throttle Body 170, Labor 150

Hopefully - this may come in handy for someone that thinks they checked everything and its still not actin right......keep looking............and listen to these folks on here........they know what they talk about.

Thanks ya'll......be safe, ride hard and watch for the Horse n Buggies:cheers

Amish Hawg - thanks for coming back and telling everyone what the final resolution was. Too many times a member posts here looking for help, finally gets the problem solved, and then is so excited about having a good bike to ride again that they forget to let everyone know what the fix was.

Thanks again - now put on some rain gear and go out and ride!

Back