'03 Road King Classic - Getting worse rather than better

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Amish Hawg, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Amish Hawg

Amish Hawg Active Member Contributor

I need some wisdom. New to the forum - There's some good info on here, thanks. Here is what I have.

03 RKC, 28k, Hooker exhaust, Stage 1. Ran great last Sat night, Sunday, it idled high at start, rolling, it started sputtering at 2500rpm. I thought maybe bad gas. Changed that out. No codes, no engine light. Dealer said start with the TPS. Changed that out today. Now it idles higher (12-1400). On the road, it sputters, almost dies at 1500-2000, I have to crank the throttle and it blows through it. some backfiring also. same at 3k. It also almost dies as if no fuel then POW, it takes off again. I did the wiggle test too, no change.

I think I have too much info from reading on here. Before I let the dealer take all my money, whats my next step? Fuel Injectors? AIU? ECM? Battery? ( see what I mean about reading too much?). i'm thinking injectors.

Any help will be greatly apprecieated. or should i just punt and take it in?

2. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

Do you have any type of fueler on the bike? I assume that the dealer checked for intake leaks?

3. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

4. Amish Hawg

No, he didnt check for leaks. I'll do that tomorrow morning. Regarding the cracked fuel line, I re-read that. Initially I thought this was only for a half full tank that the problems would start. after looking again, I see that it can happen anytime.

Looks like I'll get to know the scoot a little better.

Also - its not the battery ( i went simple first)

I'll update tomorrow

Thanks

5. glider

glider Veteran Member

A fuel pressure test would tell a story but most don't have the tools to do this.

6. Amish Hawg

Update - Yep, it was the fuel line in the tank. 3 holes bigger than Dallas. also, the "neck" of the fuel pump was cracked. replacing that as well today. I can get a fuel pump for the Hummer for 49 bucks......the Harley, 250.....go figure.

Thanks for the help

7. glider

glider Veteran Member

Glad you found the problem.

HD= Hundreds of dollars :D

8. RibEye

RibEye Junior Member Contributor

Sweet :Banane13:

Enjoy,
    Rich P

9. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

What happen with the idle. I would think fixing the hoses would not correct this issue because it happened after replacing the TPS. (?)

10. RibEye

RibEye Junior Member Contributor

TPS for '03 is not adjustable...Curious about timing of issue though.

Enjoy,
    Rich P