free website stats program '03 Road King Classic - Getting worse rather than better | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

'03 Road King Classic - Getting worse rather than better

TPS for '03 is not adjustable...Curious about timing of issue though.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Isn't a 2003 MM? I thought you could set the TPS "0" position to a voltage value of .275v just like you can with late model Delphi (only at at a voltage reading of .570 volts for late model)

It's not something published in the service manual but I believe it is an internal TBS or memo. Same procedure just a different voltage value.

2003 should be a Delphi unit. It was around the 2000 year that some but not all bikes went to Delphi units.

Well.......I THOUGHT I nailed it. I swapped out Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, all internal hoses and YES, I found two pinholes. I put it all back together today.

I'll be (EDIT)........EXACT SAME PROBLEM exists. sputter, and out of the air intake it sounds like its starving for air and the engine almost goes silent at various times. I can blow through it, but its just not right.

new plugs, new battery, new TPS, new Fuel Filter, New Fuel Lines, New Fuel Pump..........I even put a new rear tire on it because i could.

The Indy's said fuel line, the dealer said fuel line, I thought I nailed this baby.

Momma wants to ride............and I'm starting to twitch...........

I'll take any suggestions. again, thanks for any help. Its no longer a problem....its a QUEST.

and yes, 03 is MM

Please read and understand the info in this link below...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Question in entry point #2 about fueler was not answered. In entry point #1 you say "No engine light". I believe engine light "ON" is for current codes and not historical. Did you actually check for codes.
You need to check the TPS voltage value when the throttle body is close. The idle should not have lifted when you changed the TPS. You need to find the reason for that. Your idle is now 1300 RPM and that is a problem in itself..

EXACT SAME PROBLEM exists. sputter, and out of the air intake it sounds like its starving for air and the engine almost goes silent at various times. I can blow through it, but its just not right.

You may already have done this, but just for grins, get a can of Carb Cleaner Spray (I use O'Reillys generic) and use up the whole can cleaning the IAC port at the inside top of the intake. Use the little red tube to direct the spray exactly where you need it, and wear eye protections. The stuff stings!!

I put a paper towel plug up against the butterfly to stop too much carb cleaner from getting into the cylinders. Even so, starting the engine after cleaning out the IAC is prolonged since the engine has to exhaust the CC that has gotten by the paper towel. See here:

Harley Davidson Community

TQ

No, didnt check the voltage. Fueler? help me on that. The RPM at start is 1100 to 1200.

No, I didnt check the history, I was thinking ( and told by dealer) if it didnt show the engine light, they couldnt check for code. 2 dealers actually in DFW.

I'm thinking I may be dippin in unchartered territory, not feeling too confident or frisky. I might take the hit and put her in. I'll look at voltage, do the spray, and check the codes.

I was also told by a pretty solid indy ( Im told ), that i fits hurting for breath out of the intake, its fuel delivery and not sensor related. But again, I'm not the well versed Hawg guru.......................yet.:cheers

to be continued

Repeat the fuel pressure test and report back what the pressure is. I don't recall hearing that you checked the fuel pressure regulator. If they get varnished, they can stick (typically more open than needed).

Please note that idle rpm is dictated by the ECM, and IAC is what actually is used to bring the idle rpm to the specified value.

My '03 RKC is a Delphi so does not have a TPS sensor adjustment. Please double-check that. If you have a TPS that needs adjustment, "idle" settings may not be able to come into play.

Please note that I found both, rub holes in the innner fuel lines, as well as a sticky fuel pressure regulator. Each will produce similar symptoms. I also found an intermittent connection to the front fuel injector, again resulting in similar simptoms.

Good luck,
Rich P

She's in the shop: Broken Throttle Body Shaft? The part is on backorder for two weeks....AAAGGGHHHHH !!!

make sense?

She's in the shop: Broken Throttle Body Shaft? The part is on backorder for two weeks....AAAGGGHHHHH !!!

make sense?

Could account for problems with idle rpm, and maybe mismatch between throttle position and position of related sensor (mix issue).

Good luck,
Rich P

Back