free website stats program York PA. H-D Plant | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

York PA. H-D Plant

I have to laugh a little when everyone starts talking about this "Made in the USA" stuff anymore. Fords, GMs, and Chryslers have more foreign content than American anymore. Meanwhile, Honda, Toyota, Mercedes Benz and BMWs are built here in the U.S. and shipped all over the world. WHo's providing the American worker the better service? An American Corporation that's only real value added is keeping retained earnings and the big bonuses it pays executives here in the U.S., or one of those aforementioned "Foreign" corporations that is still employing the average American to work the line?

You got to face it, the manufacturing profession has gone global, and unless something changes in the way of wages and benefits to reduce the cost of the "developed" world's workers, they aren't coming back. Aerospace is really the last American production stronghold and even it is under increasing attack from foreign suppliers, it's cost structure and business model is very similar to the recent aut companies' that went bust, and it won't be too long before Aerospace goes the same way the big three have.

This country, for right or wrong is going the way of Europe and Britain. More socialization vs. free market, and loss of thousands of semi-skilled, high-paying jobs. We're in for a rough ride folks, better tighten down those belts.

i thought york was closing and date was set? I hope i was wrong... when i hear "made in usa" talk i think about the folk who could be from all corners of the globe, and wonder what they think of that.
Ive never heard any other countrymen say that about their goods. what do non-Americans think about all this?

I was in PA a couple of months ago and saw a news report on plant closing.There was a Support The Plant ride done by a HOG group or Vet group or what ever.

As far as made in US, i believe many of the HD engines are assembled in Mexico or so I am told.

I was in PA a couple of months ago and saw a news report on plant closing.There was a Support The Plant ride done by a HOG group or Vet group or what ever.

As far as made in US, i believe many of the HD engines are assembled in Mexico or so I am told.

I went through the York plant a few months ago and it is my understanding that a definite decision about the plant closing had not been made at that time. I saw several pallets of engines waiting to be installed and the guide told us that they were all built at the HD plant in Milwaukee. I think that's where she said they came from. HD has several plants in the U.S. making different parts and I don't remember exactly which plant makes which part.

I still wonder who will be employed to buy all this off shore product when all the middle class jobs are gone. I bought my H-D because it was North American made. After all the jobs are gone & the unions get into the other country`s the jobs will come back, it just might take a 100 years ,

While changing my rear tire i noticed my cast wheels are made in Australia. As long as, whomever, wherever they build'em, if they bikes aren't inferior like AMF, i'm still buying. The majority of the mc's require an "american made ride" what are they gonna do? Food for thought.

I believe the jury is still out as to actually closing it, though it certainly was discussed. I for one would be very sorry if they did, as it is very easy to take things down...not so easy to build infrastructure back up...in case the economy and MOCO turns around. I also looked at the VIN # on my bike, it was manufactured there...:no

I believe the jury is still out as to actually closing it, though it certainly was discussed. I for one would be very sorry if they did, as it is very easy to take things down...not so easy to build infrastructure back up...in case the economy and MOCO turns around. I also looked at the VIN # on my bike, it was manufactured there...:no

My 09 Road Glide was also made at the York plant. That's why I made time to visit the plant when I was driving between Virginia and Maine earlier this year. It's fascinating to see how the workers change a bunch of metal and miscellaneous parts into a fully functioning bike. I recommend the tour to any motorcycle owner who has the opportunity to visit the plant. The workers at the plant are big supporters of charities in the area and it would be a shame for those charities and for the workers if the plant is closed.

Back