free website stats program York PA. H-D Plant | Harley Davidson Forums

York PA. H-D Plant

I went up there for open house and really enjoyed it. The factory tour was great and the people were great too. The locals lined the streets for the parade of bikes through downtown on Friday night. It'll be a shame if they close it. I'm not sure what will happen if they do. It's not like they can move to Mexico for cheaper labor. That would never fly.

I went up there for open house and really enjoyed it. The factory tour was great and the people were great too. The locals lined the streets for the parade of bikes through downtown on Friday night. It'll be a shame if they close it. I'm not sure what will happen if they do. It's not like they can move to Mexico for cheaper labor. That would never fly.

Don't bet on it. I see WWII vets and Korean vets driving Japanese owned company made cars more everyday. Every other product has went by way of the foreigners...what makes HD any different. Although...I hope you are right. Money gets it way in our culture.....it seems.

In our society, there is no loyalty to American Workers and American made goods and services, like it was years ago. Interdependence has been taken out of the business textbooks and replaced with Global.

I for one, will NEVER buy a HD made in Mexico,Chinia,India etc. The same goes for cars/trucks......and no I don't belong to UAW or any other union....

I agree silentflyer..Our country is going down. Greed has taken over.Ship the work out for less and keep raising the price so that the rich just keep gettin richer. Like many of those folks state I quote" I need those millions of dollars so that my family can eat".

I often hear people exclaim "I will never buy a Harley, nor will I ride one if they are made by foreigners". Guess what? Harleys are full of foreign components and they have been for years. Harley, like any smart manufacturer sources products from the lowest cost provider. They spec it out and put it out for bids. He who sells if for less and maintains specs, gets the bid. To want to buy products made by Americans is admirable, for sure. But, in today's world that just isn't practicle. Harleys are assembled in America, for the most part. But, that is about to change. Never mind that old farts like myself have sworn they would never buy a Harley assembled in Mexico. We are in the minority and as the years go by and we die off, we are being replaced by an ever younger base of consumers who will buy anything from anywhere. The United States is the largest consuming nation in the world (mostly imported) and will buy just as many Harleys if they are made in Lower Slobovia as if they were in Wisconsin, Pensylvania or Kansas City. Outsourcing does work and it will work for Harley Davidson as well. In truth, Harleys customer base is small. Ya, we American owners don't add to much in the grand scheme of things. It is for that very reason that the MOCO has decided to expand in China and India. When I heard them say that in their analysts meeting a few weeks ago I could not help but crack a smile. In my mind's eye I was visualizing some of those short Chinese and Indians try to hold up an 800+ pound Harley at the stoplight. For the guy who manufacturers lowering kits I would think he should be on the plane right now trying to figure out where he can put his manufacuring plant.
Patriots don't seem to make very good capitalists, do they?

Last edited:
Back