free website stats program Won't Start? | Harley Davidson Forums

Won't Start?

My problem is I am getting NO POWER THROUGH IGNITION!

I have checked my battery and it is at 12.5 volts, I pulled it out and put in a know good battery but still nothing.

Not enough power going through system to turn on turn signal or brake lights.

I have the front of the fairing off so the headlight is not connected.

I've checked the Maxi fuse, and all fuses in the fuse box.

Any idea's why I am not getting power through system.?

Is there another fuse block or anything anywhere else?

The bike was running perfectly when I parked it and removed the radio.

Radio is back from the shop and reinstalled.

Thanks
Tom

What's the year and model of your bike you're having issues with? Sounds like a possible grounding issue.

Often in a situation like this it is the battery cables that are the problem although the battery end is often good and clean and tight sometimes the other end of the cables need cleaned and adjusted

Brian

It is an 06 vStreet Glide.

I am getting no power through the ignition switch. No accessories either.

I pulled the radio out for repairs last week and reinstalled it this today. Turned bike on and NOTHING!

I can't find anything unplugged.

Is there a failsafe or a restart proceedure like when the bike goes down?

It is an 06 vStreet Glide.

I am getting no power through the ignition switch. No accessories either.

I pulled the radio out for repairs last week and reinstalled it this today. Turned bike on and NOTHING!

I can't find anything unplugged.

Is there a failsafe or a restart proceedure like when the bike goes down?
Can you JUMP around the switch and see if it puts out the juice... Switches can go bad.

That's my guess.

signed....BUBBIE

Remove the Maxi fuse. Take a voltmeter and measure the voltage from FRAME ground to EACH side of the Maxi fuse holder. Do you read 12 volts on at least 1 side of the fuse holder.

Remove the Maxi fuse. Take a voltmeter and measure the voltage from FRAME ground to EACH side of the Maxi fuse holder. Do you read 12 volts on at least 1 side of the fuse holder.

12.5+ on one side but reading 1.75 on the other. Shouldnt the 2nd be zero?

so if I have power at the maxi fuse do I still need to check the battery cables to the frame. or were ever the other end of them are?

Last edited by a moderator:
12.5+ on one side but reading 1.75 on the other. Shouldnt the 2nd be zero?

so if I have power at the maxi fuse do I still need to check the battery cables to the frame. or were ever the other end of them are?

Hold off for just a second on that...

Also don't worry about the 1.75 volts on 1 side of the Maxi Fuse.

Next step. Remove the 15 amp fuse labeled P&A. Turn ignition key to ON. Take your meter and read the voltage between FRAME GROUND and each side of the P&A fuse holder.
(Put the maxi fuse back in).

What do you read.

If one side of the maxi fuse to ground is giving the same as across the battery it would tend to indicate that the circuit is complete but as there is no draw it does not indicate how good the connections are just that they can complete the circuit
previous experience tells me that it is good practise to check and clean periodically

Brian

Back