free website stats program Won't Start? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Won't Start?

so if I have power at the maxi fuse do I still need to check the battery cables to the frame. or were ever the other end of them are?

Hold off for just a second on that...

Also don't worry about the 1.75 volts on 1 side of the Maxi Fuse.

Next step. Remove the 15 amp fuse labeled P&A. Turn ignition key to ON. Take your meter and read the voltage between FRAME GROUND and each side of the P&A fuse holder.
(Put the maxi fuse back in).

What do you read.

I am getting nothing. on both sides.

both ends of the battery cable to the frame and starter are tight, battery is also tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) You are getting NOTHING on both sides of the P&A fuse with the ignition key turned ON.

2) The MAXI Fuse is Installed and you have checked it with an ohm meter to be SURE it is Good.

If YES to BOTH above questions, the Ignition switch is Bad and Bubbie WINS THE PRIZE!!!.

1) You are getting NOTHING on both sides of the P&A fuse with the ignition key turned ON.

2) The MAXI Fuse is Installed and you have checked it with an ohm meter to be SURE it is Good.

If YES to BOTH above questions, the Ignition switch is Bad and Bubbie WINS THE PRIZE!!!.

We are talking about the ignition/acc/lock swith?

is there a connection I may have disconneted. but I hear it like the fuel pump is trying to come on sometimes when it is turned on?

Okay, out of frustration I turned it to the lock position hit it with the side of my fist a few times. Pushed it in to the lock positon and then back to ignition.

Now it is working?

What gives, is something loose or is there a default because I didnt pull the maxi fuse when uninstalling and reinstalling the radio as the instruction say.

(I read that after the fact)

Anyway , thanks everyone for your very quick response!!!

but I hear it like the fuel pump is trying to come on sometimes when it is turned on?

Tom, you should have said that sooner. Bubbie don't spend the prize money yet.!

Here is a backup test to confirm.

With the ignition switch ON & all fuses installed, using your meter measure the voltage between the Maxi Fuse (either side) and the P&A fuse (either side).

You should measure 0 volts if the switch is GOOD and 12 volts (or some voltage greater than zero) if the switch is BAD.

Look closely at the fuses and you will see a test hole on both side to probe your meter into.

With the ignition switch ON & all fuses installed, using your meter measure the voltage between the Maxi Fuse (either side) and the P&A fuse (either side).

You should measure 0 volts if the switch is GOOD and 12 volts (or some voltage greater than zero) if the switch is BAD.

Look closely at the fuses and you will see a test hole on both side to probe your meter into.

I think I spoke to soon. The radio came on the brake lights came on but the turn signal/horn and starter did not. I hit it a few more times and they came on and tried to start it. Turned over a few times back fired and now nothing!
I still have accessories and accessories when switched to ignition but no headlight, no starter
I am reading 0 but I am not sure my meter is reading properly, It is kinda hit and miss with it some times, I have to jiggle the wires. I am running up to Radio shack and invest in another one.

I think I spoke to soon. The radio came on the brake lights came on but the turn signal/horn and starter did not. I hit it a few more times and they came on and tried to start it. Turned over a few times back fired and now nothing!
I still have accessories and accessories when switched to ignition but no headlight, no starter
I am reading 0 but I am not sure my meter is reading properly, It is kinda hit and miss with it some times, I have to jiggle the wires. I am running up to Radio shack and invest in another one.
Tom...did you have to dis-assemble the main ignition switch to get the Fairing off when you took the radio out?

Tom...did you have to dis-assemble the main ignition switch to get the Fairing off when you took the radio out?

No just took off the front fairing, 7 screws.

I am getting 12.5 with the ignition OFF P&A fuse out to eather side. and 0 with the ignition on.

Last edited by a moderator:
FOUND IT!!!

I went back through and disconnected and reconnected every connection. None that I had diconnected were bad but while moving the wires around I could hear the CD player cycling on and off .
So I attempted to pull the cover off of the ignition and when I pulled the 2nd Torx screw out it came on again .

I was able to trace the loose connection to the wires going to the ignition switch. There is a clip on that wire beneath the radio that I must have disconnected. That clip keeps tention on the wire so that it doesn't loose connection at the switch.

Now soon as I get this thing back together I am going for a ride to the dealer.

Thanks again,.

Back