free website stats program won't start-backfires | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

won't start-backfires

Hi all, new to site, lots of great info on here but I haven't come across the
problem I'm having, so here goes. I've got a 95 roadking, this spring it started running irratically,even just dying a couple times after running good.I replaced fuel valve, wires, plugs.Now it won't start and back fires as I'm trying to start. Plugs have consistantly had black soot build -up, and I haven't been able to see any air/vacuum leaks. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Being an older bike, I would pop off the nose cone and check to see if the timing plate is secure and has not moved a bit. There are 2 pods that the cover screws into with provision for a big flat screwdriver to loosen or tighten them. Sometimes these work loose and alter your timing.

Thanks for the input guys, the bike runs great at the moment. The vacuum turned out to be fine, found the rear exhaust man to be slightly loose. Otherwise I just added new fuel and drained a little out the bottom of carb to flush and bike seems to run great. So if I get any more of the same type problems down the road, I'm thinkin Derekj comment
about ignition is on the money or close to it.
What a GREAT SITE---Thanks again.

Back