free website stats program won't start-backfires | Harley Davidson Forums

won't start-backfires

develly

Hi all, new to site, lots of great info on here but I haven't come across the
problem I'm having, so here goes. I've got a 95 roadking, this spring it started running irratically,even just dying a couple times after running good.I replaced fuel valve, wires, plugs.Now it won't start and back fires as I'm trying to start. Plugs have consistantly had black soot build -up, and I haven't been able to see any air/vacuum leaks. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

1995 RK. Hmmm. Not sure this applies if you don't have fuel injection. Can't remember when HD put that on the touring bikes. If it does, check to see if you have convoluted tubing in your gas tank. It may have worn tiny pinholes through the tubing rubbing against the interior of the tank. Especially if it starts and runs fairly normally if the tank is full of fuel.

Must still be the EVO engine. So the above probably does not apply. If you have tried everything in the posts above and still are having problems, consider upgrading your ignition system and doing away with the VOES all together. I went with the Spike ignition module and coil on my '91 Dyna and never looked back.

TQ

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm going to narrow in on the vacuum. Crazy question, if I took the vacuum hose from fuel petcock and blow air in and used soap to test for leaks would that work , or is there another test your aware of?

Dont laugh, as I did not have a vaccum pump and this was a a quicky test.

I stuck an ohm meter into the end of the VOES connector, placed the meter on beep, sucked slowly on the VOES with my mouth till I heard a beep.

:sd:sd

This worked for me , its not for everyone as there are many dangerous contaniments even after wiping down the unit..

:sd:sd

Thanks for the great advice guys, I've got the bike running now. Sounds a little off though, I don't have vacuum pump/gauge so wll have to wait on that, but I did notice the left exhaust is cool and the right is hot, I'm assuming that isn't normal, I've never noticed that before. Oh, I also tried spraying wd-40 around manifold while bike running and did'nt notice any change in sound.But that exhaust has me a little concerned any ideas???

Thanks for the great advice guys, I've got the bike running now. Sounds a little off though, I don't have vacuum pump/gauge so wll have to wait on that, but I did notice the left exhaust is cool and the right is hot, I'm assuming that isn't normal, I've never noticed that before. Oh, I also tried spraying wd-40 around manifold while bike running and did'nt notice any change in sound.But that exhaust has me a little concerned any ideas???

Check the compression.:s

Back