Winter storage

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by Swamp Donkey, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Member

Hey gang . Was just curious as to what some people do to their scoots for the winter . Unfortunately here in Ohio I can't ride all year . Thanks .

2. Blue Wide Glide

Blue Wide Glide Junior Member

I added a garage addition to my main garage, and they spend the winter in there where it is never less than 50 degrees:D. Once they salt the roads, i'm done.:(

3. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

Fresh oil change along with a fuel stabilizer. Keep a battery tender on it as well.
    I start mine and warm it up a couple times a month just to lube all the seals.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    Swamp Donkey and gator508 like this.
  4. Slo-Ryd

Slo-Ryd Junior Member Contributor

^^^^^^ +1

5. jamesearl

jamesearl Senior Member Contributor

Got a garage,lots of dealers will store,too.Add stabil,battery tender.I'm down usually 2-3 months per year.I also stop after they lay the salt down.

6. Harttoo

Harttoo Senior Member

I store in My garage also.Sta-bil and battery tender.I'm done riding when I see salt!

7. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Fill up tank, park in corner of garage, add sta-bil, plug tender in and let it sit. Sometime I cover bike and forgitaboutit so when I uncover in spring its like the first day I brought it home...;)
    I have become a S&S rider..... Sunny and seventy before bike comes out of garage..:p

Swamp Donkey and gator508 like this.
  8. gator508

gator508 Senior Member

Jeff & dbmg have got you covered on this. A fuel stabilizer and battery tender are of utmost importance. Fresh oil is a good idea as well so the corrosive acids that build up in the oil are not just sitting in the engine during the downtime.

Swamp Donkey and Jeff Klarich like this.
  9. joel

joel Junior Member

I do as posted above. I have a storage room down at my shop that it stays in, right next to the back office and on the way to the lunch room. So I get to stop by it for a visit, let it know how close soring is comming or roll it in the shop and tinker on it.

10. jdezorzi

jdezorzi Member

+1 on the oil changes and battery tender. I'm hoping it stays warm until Thanksgiving here in Pittsburgh.