free website stats program Winning Grinding noise and bike wont more. help please! | Harley Davidson Forums

Winning Grinding noise and bike wont more. help please!

I own a 1997 Buell S-1 Lightning running the EVO 1200 engine.

To start with the bike got hit in my parking lot and who ever did it left it on its side and drove off leaving the bike on its side for a couple hours to my best guess.

I now have it running again BUT after changing spark plugs today i went for a short run but soon as i shift or even atempt to shift into gear my bike starts making a wirring grinding noise. My first though was clutch adjustment but that didnt stop any of the noise. Or even help with the problem...

Please any help thoughts or advice!

Welcome GravenLeoric to the HDTimeline forum, where many HD enthusiasts and riders share tips and ideas regarding service and increasing riding enjoyment. That said, we do need a bit more information to help you. Were you able to determine the "contact" points that were impacted. Did you have frame "sliders" or engine case guards? Do you think the shift linkage/lever were bent or knocked inwards. Was either the engine or tranny cover impacted (possibly dented inwards slightly and contacting spinning cluuch or chaindrive. Do you have a service manual to help you disassemble key areas to see if anything is rubbing the cases or belt. Do check the opposite side if drive members are rubbing against guards or covers? Your Buell may also have some bodywork that may be misaligned, rubbing up against the belt drive or sprocket if noise happens only when moving.

The bikes engine did not touch the ground at all, it was saved by the intake sticking out so far and the position of the engine inside the frame. Ive rode it four or five times this week no problems. I do not have a manual being the second owner of the bike.

If it helps the bike runs in neutral fine. If i try to take off in gear it takes on so much of a load that the bike shuts off as if i poped the clutch.

I really really appreciate any help, I haven't had time to remove the primary cover as it happened tonight and dont want to start something i cant really get into. More just researching any possibilities to be ready for before i rip it apart. Thanks.

Sounds like it was hit on the left, knocking it onto it's right side, right? Can you see the point of contact that knocked it over? Could it have been hit on the shifter shaft? Does it roll freely in neutral? Sounds like something is binding to stall engine. Check sprocket, tires, belt, everyning in rear driveline, and see that it's still straight.

Everything runs fine in neutral rolls freely and i can even shift through all my gears easily till i let off the clutch then i get the whineing noise and if i try to keep releaseing the clutch it dies. The way my air cleaner was set up its so far out (on the right side) that nothing except my air cleaner and handle bars hit. Just laid on its side for a few hours before i got home and picked it up. Ive even ran it a few times up the street and was fine till last night. I was checking my spark gaps by letting it turn over without the plugs in the block to watch the spark. (motor is very modified so wasnt sure on the gap) After i finished this i was going to go for another short ride. I went about 3 feet and the whinning started.

Well it sounds like it is somewhere between the cluth and the tranny. If it starts when you release the clutch you could have something cracked or broken in the clutch or something knocked out of line in the tranny. If you can get it up on a stand, click it third or fourth and with the plugs out of the motor spin the back wheel, see if you can isolate the noise to a specific component.

OK i opened the primary case just to make sure and check the components as its been awhile everything is fine and dandy. I did as you suggested and lifted the rear of the bike and turned the wheel and no matter what gear its in. the wheel spins and so does the gear on the right of the bike the inside of it is not spinning. and when i spin the wheel i hear the noise i described. I would have gone further but did not have a wrench handy to remove the nut.

DSCI1407.jpg

Sorry didnt realize i duplicated those.

This is the part that the noise is coming from.
DSCI1408.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. Im out of ideas. When i lift the rear wheel off the ground and spin it i hear the whineing noise. Im thinking perhaps the clutch? I know a few weeks before it got hit I was riding and the clutch wasnt disengaging and at every light I had to kill the bike till the light was green. Perhaps pull the clutch basket?

Back