free website stats program Winning Grinding noise and bike wont more. help please! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Winning Grinding noise and bike wont more. help please!

Sorry if some of these questions sound dumb. Ive built hotrods all my life but im sure most of you know that motorcycles are a bit different.

Can anyone here please explain the process of taking off the clutch? I removed the primary cover off again in an attempt to do this but instead just got frustrated and put it back together till i could find someone to explain this.

On a side note i can push the bike in any gear without any extra effort (feels like its in neutral)

Can you raise the rear wheel off the ground, rotate it freely with the primary cover off, and hear noise, rubbing or feel vibration at the clutch hub area or end play, side impact could have unseated a snap ring or circlip. Also check if the chain was contacting anything in the inner cover or the housing? Look on the chain and tensioner nylon pad for scoring from roughened or bent link(s).

I raised it off the ground and all it seems to be coming from the clutch. Everything seems to be in-line nothing rubbing on anything else, the tensioner shoe is not very worn only the grooves the chain seems to have been running in.

To begin with does the clutch gear just slide out of the primary chain once the c-clips and nut are off? As far as i got was taking off the smaller c-clip which lets the part the clutch cable connects to comes off. Behind that there is a large nut which im assuming holds the entire assembly on. on the outside theres a larger c-clip holding on a blue/black flat piece which im also assuming needs to come off.

This is starting to get very frustrating but i dont have the money to let a mechanic work on it, i do have the skills to do the work just not the experience with harley davidson bikes.

Ive spoken to a harley davidson service technician and he said it sounds like the place to start would be looking at the clutch plates, My bike has a little over 15000 miles on it and would seem to have the original parts on it.

So If anyone here could explain how to get the "clutch basket" off I would appretiate it

Also on the outer stator hub there are 5 drill grooves in it, what does this mean or did it come like that from the factory?

When I bought it, I had to adjust it before I could drive it home and the previous owner said it had been like that for some time. I did have a problem with it some time ago (before it got hit) on my way home something happened in the clutch where I had to kill the bike at lights because with the clutch pulled far as i could it still wanted to keep moving. But when i got 2 lights from my house it acted like it was back in adjustment and was fine.

Buell setup is similar to Sportster, but the clutch friction disc/plate count may be different. Do you have a service manual regarding procedure to remove the clutch drum assy, and the exact sequence. You will require some special tools to assure safe disassembly. A Clutch Bridge Spring Compression Tool HD-38515-A and Forcing Screw w/ Handle Assembly HD-38515-91...as the clutch diaphram spring has considerable tension and allows removal of spring seat and the retaining ring. The Buell may have a different count of friction discs and steel plates and possible different composition, so check with dealer for matching part numbers just to be sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, but thats the problem I do not have a service manual, does anyone have a link of where to get one? Ive got a friction disc kit from buell that came with the bike so should be what i need. Just gotta get the thing apart.

I would highly recommend getting the service manual. Check eBay or Amazon, if that doesn't work, you can always check with a dealer. You won't regret it.

Back