free website stats program Wind Noise | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wind Noise

I have a Street Bob and the Memphis Shades Slim windshield. I have to agree that it's the wind coming up under the shield or off your legs and up along your chest to your face.
I get what I like to call "Turbo Nostrils". I get so much wind up my nose I think I'm going to get a nosebleed! And NO, I'm not going to be putting earplugs in my nose to stop this. I've worn a full face helmet instead of my half shell to stop this. It helps with the nose and ears, but the ensuing buffeting shakes my head like a rattle at anything over 60mph. Subsequently I ride without the shield as much as possible. I think fork lowers might do the trick, but I hate the look of them. I'm going to cut my windshield down to a little more than a large flyscreen and see if I get any relief. Failing that, I think I'll just toss it and go naked!

Bigfoot, I had this same problem when I put a windshield on my old Honda Sabre. A pair of Memphis Shades lowers cured the problem nicely.

I believe Memphis Shades makes windscreen lowers for each fork (contact them for their application) and HD makes a chrome airfoil that has been adapted to fit under the steerer tube between the forks for a Softail...done by Eleft96, had this picture of his setup with his homemade bracket for the center air deflector.

"While on the bike I can put my arm across my chest and the wind noise stops . What are my options to cure this problem "
I noitced the same thing on my roadtrip last week. The wind blowing up from around or from the bottom of windshield or both was not a problem,UNTIL I took my leather jacket off my handle bars then the wind blew upward to my chest and head. so at the next stop I put my tent accross the handle bars and the wind stopped.

"While on the bike I can put my arm across my chest and the wind noise stops . What are my options to cure this problem "
I noitced the same thing on my roadtrip last week. The wind blowing up from around or from the bottom of windshield or both was not a problem,UNTIL I took my leather jacket off my handle bars then the wind blew upward to my chest and head. so at the next stop I put my tent accross the handle bars and the wind stopped.

folks above have said that's what jack's flaps vest does. The flaps cut the wind noise at least by half because they re-direct the wind away from your face and ears, no wind, much less noise

I can vouch for the Jacksflaps vest. I have one and they do everything they claim besides being a nice vest for the money.

I'll have to check this jack-flap thing .I've never heard of it. but the jacket ,or rooled up towle works also ,and it's free. PJ

Last edited:
Back