free website stats program Wind Noise....can't hear the motor | Harley Davidson Forums

Wind Noise....can't hear the motor

danthern

Just got my HD yesterday and bought a 1/2 helmet. I love the fit and extra air circulation that it affords but as the ears are not covered I can't hear the motor well over the wind. Short of changing the pipes (which is in the future) or the helmet does anyone have any tips on cutting down the noise? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

With a half shell you may want to try soft earplugs for wind noise.
Or a full face helmet.

I can hear the engine better without the wind noise.

Thats what I want to hear. I'm trying it tomorrow and I'll post my results. Thanks a lot, gents.....

I bought a stretchy tube style bandana and fold it over till it's about a inch wide and several layer's thick. I then put it on from my forehead over my ears to the back of my neck, like a sweat band pulled down in the back so it cover's your ears. This allows sound thru but keeps the wind out of your ears. You can still get your helmet on as the front of the band is on your forehead below the front of your helmet. I find this cuts down the wind noise but not all noise like ear plugs or a full face helmet does.

That wind noise for a long period of time causes hearing damage too. I was told by a (long name) hearing Dr. once that it is a leading cause of hearing loss in people who drive for a living. They drive with the window beside their ear cracked and that noise is really bad for the hearing. The motorcycle is no different and really its worse. Earplugs with a "halfy" is a very good idea specially on those long rides. It will also reduce fatigue over that period of time.

Bodeen

I'll give ear plugs a try.......Thanks

As someone who has used soft earplugs a lot, here's a tip. They take some practice fitting. If not held in place gently for 5-10 seconds to allow them to expand fully after inserting, may result in a void, which can cause as much wind noise as not wearing them. Not all soft plugs are equal in effectiveness.
Like wearing glasses, ear plugs take some getting used to, then you forget they are there.

Another good reason to wear earplugs is health. They will protect your eustachian tube from airborne bacteria and help protect you from colds, sinus, and flu while you are riding.

Trust a retired USAF troop who was around too many jets & computer fans...ear plugs are your friend. I now have the dreaded "tinnitus" (AKA ear ringing) & wind noise will do similar damage. I'm betting the plugs worked...

Back