free website stats program Wifey got motorcycle license... now what bike? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wifey got motorcycle license... now what bike?

Okay here is first pic of wifey's sporty.... very clean
DSCN0153.jpg

lowered rear shocks make it better height for her....but got to agree with Zamadan....many factors involved with choice of a bike...especially for small (short legged) women.....

Last edited:
I took my girlfriend to Sturgis and we rode out on the bike. We had got to talking about her getting her license. Well by the time we got home from the trip she was wanting her own bike. She's 5'6 and we bought her a a softail duece which she loves dearly. To tell the truth.. so do I because I ride it from time to time :)

Hi . I Got My Safety Class Completion Card In The Mail Today So I Went Straight To The License Place And Made It Official. I'm Glad All That Waiting Is Over. Now I Just Need Time To Ride.

Hi . I Got My Safety Class Completion Card In The Mail Today So I Went Straight To The License Place And Made It Official. I'm Glad All That Waiting Is Over. Now I Just Need Time To Ride.
Congratulations. I'm with you on wanting to ride. I've been on the road, & I just want to get home & take the bike for a spin.

I took my girlfriend to Sturgis and we rode out on the bike. We had got to talking about her getting her license. Well by the time we got home from the trip she was wanting her own bike. She's 5'6 and we bought her a a softail duece which she loves dearly. To tell the truth.. so do I because I ride it from time to time :)
That story sounds very familiar! I went to Sturgis, trailered 5 bikes & a hot air balloon, but we had a ball. I had a dual sport at the time, but by the time I left, I realized that I kept checking out the deuce. I would see a bike I liked & ask what it was, and most of the time it was the deuce. I'm 5'7" and the bike seems to fit me well. And, hubby likes to ride my deuce also. Hmmm, but he doesn't want to share his, he's afraid I'll like it so he won't ride mine much. LOL

My wife is also hight challanged and ended up with the 883 low. Personally, I didn't like the bike at all as I felt like there was nothing under me. I agree that buying used is the best bet. Get something that she can be comfortable on but can upgrade later. The Softail deluxe sits low and is very well balanced. Get an older one, have it lowered even more if necessary. I hate to use the word, but Yamaha has some decent mid sized bikes that may interest her.

i was at the dealer pickin up some parts with my fiance and she started looking at some of the bikes they had. One of the salesmen came over and noticed she is only 4'10". he said they could order her any bike specially lowered for her.

I recommend the 883 for now with a low reach solo seat and drop the back shock to lower it to a good standing height for her.

I did this for my wife and my buddies wife too.. both are 5-3

"RIDE TO WORK, WORK TO RIDE"

I went through the class a year ago May, my first bike was purchased last October and it is a 1200 sportster low.
I am 5'2", and i have had no problems with it, my nieghbor who went through the class with me purchased the 1200 sportster custom, though the two bikes are 5 lbs difference, her custom is so much more top heavier then mine. she has to really give it a heave to get it up right.
the other reason i didn't go with the custom is the forward controls and the bars, my legs and arms were straight out, i do plan on highway pegs for longdistant traveling.
Have your wife sit on the both the low and the custom and she will notice quite a bit of difference. MY husband deluxe isn't as topheavy as the custom.

Back