free website stats program Wierd engine light | Harley Davidson Forums

Wierd engine light

rw1050

I have an 02 Electra classic (40k miles). This summer I have had a wierd engine light issue that I have been chasing. Bike runs great and have had no issues with it -- BUT -- I get an engine light that comes on for about 10 seconds when I am low RPM and throttling or when I am cruising and hit the throttle. So the next question you are going to ask is what have I checked.
  1. Checked the injector wires
  2. Checked the Cruise adjustment
  3. Checked for codes
  4. Checked fuel controller (doebeck) and spoke their techs
  5. checked for any loose wires

So what else do I need to check? Again the bike runs great. I just am concerned that I am missing something and I do about 7k a year and go on weekend trips alot. The last thing i want is to get stuck in up state Maine pushing :)

Now that you jogged my memory, I did replace the regulator and stator with a new 3 phase system do to me blowing it at the end of last season.

i jumped the leads as was discribed in all the posts for my year bike. I did get a front injector code but that went away. I have not checked again.

I did get a front injector code but that went away. I have not checked again.

It went away? How do you know it went away. Because the check engine light stopped coming on? Ok, but the light is now back on so check for codes again.

The bike may be running great to you but the ECM doesn't agree. If you really want help give us the code number, not just the description.

It went away? How do you know it went away. Because the check engine light stopped coming on? Ok, but the light is now back on so check for codes again.

The bike may be running great to you but the ECM doesn't agree. If you really want help give us the code number, not just the description.
Okay so I checked it again this morning I do have a code the code is 23
WAP.gif

So the next question you are going to ask is what have I checked.
  1. Checked the injector wires

1. When you say you checked the injector wires, what does that mean. Did you actually perform a continuity beeper check on the 2 front injector wires (white/yellow & yellow/green wires).
    If not, you need to make a test.

Two tests are required. Disconnect battery first. Check continuity (perform wiggle test) on the white/yellow wire (front injector) back to Pin # 21 of the ECM. Then perform check from Yellow/green (front injector) to system relay (socket pin 87). See attachment.

To combine both tests at once if you like => Remove injector connector 84A from 84B. Jump the 2 pins of 84B with a short piece of wire. Now place your Fluke meter in the 200 ohm range/with beeper. Measure between pin # 21 of the ECM connector to # 87 of the system relay receptacle. Perform wiggle beeper test. Bet you have a broken wire hanging on by a thread.

All of the above is based on a stock electrical system. If you have a TFI, you need to take those wires into consideration also.

Attachments

• Code_#23_FL.pdf
    28.4 KB · Views: 14
Back