free website stats program why do i burn up coils | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

why do i burn up coils

I would see if V-Factor has their own 5 ohm coil that you can use. It will take out a lot of guesswork and you know it will work.

Points type ignition systems used a 6V coil and relied on ballast resistor to drop in series once the engine was running so the 12V would not cook the contact points and coil, using the 12V to spin up the starter quickly and switch to ballast resistor in run mode immediately.

I do not know about the ignition setup you have...but you can see about my brief "tech" on ignition systems that if you got the wrong one in there, the coil would get twice the voltage and all the current and would "explode" literally...(modern ignition systems do not have a series ballast (dropping resistor) so it took all that power as heat.

thanks again guys. Do think it could be ground?? I only have one ground wire going to the top of my rocker, and i have a Paucho frame.

Do think it could be ground??

No it's not the ground with this type of problem. Having a better ground is great. It can make your lights brighter, give you a higher charging voltage for the battery, give you more snap in the starter when cranking etc. But having a better ground for your coil will only drive it even harder than it was being driven. Now that's not a bad thing if the coil is matched to the ignition module. But yours wasn't.

Match the coil to your ignition module and you should be ok.

The system I use on my Hard Tail(EVO) isa Dyna single fire. It is DSK6-2 Ign. w/DC10-1 Coils(2) When talking with Dyna about a problem on the original Dyna single fire I had a single coil with dual pk. ups from the Ign.I gave me problems with the coil.They did not recommend a single coil unit,theirs or aftermarket.I put the new DC10-1 coils on about 3 yrs ago,no problems since. When I looked at the web from page from Hopple it looked the same as the Dyna. Are you running a single coil or dual coils. I couldn't find out if the DC10-1 was 3 or 5 ohm coil on their web page. May be something you could look at though.

The system I use on my Hard Tail(EVO) isa Dyna single fire. It is DSK6-2 Ign. w/DC10-1 Coils(2) When talking with Dyna about a problem on the original Dyna single fire I had a single coil with dual pk. ups from the Ign.I gave me problems with the coil.They did not recommend a single coil unit,theirs or aftermarket.I put the new DC10-1 coils on about 3 yrs ago,no problems since. When I looked at the web from page from Hopple it looked the same as the Dyna. Are you running a single coil or dual coils. I couldn't find out if the DC10-1 was 3 or 5 ohm coil on their web page. May be something you could look at though.

DYNOMAN PERFORMANCE - Austin, Texas This might help Tourbox:s

Back