free website stats program why do i burn up coils | Harley Davidson Forums

why do i burn up coils

skullvette

Hi i have a 2009 custom shovelhead, motor and tranny is a 81. Ok i put about one hour of riding time on it and burnt up my coil it blew oil from the coil all over the bike so i know i damaged the coil and i smoked the Ignition and it was duel fire,so i bought a ultral ignition with rev limiter and came with a single fire coil, i could never get it to run right and offcorse my bike is kick only, so i bought a vtec single fire ignition it worked great kicked first time hot and cold , but put 2 hours of riding time on it and bamm coil went, Please why is it frying the coils? Is it my voltage regulator putting out to much voltage? And yes it was chargeing fine.

Voltage measurements, its all about the measurements. You said it "was charging fine". Did you take any voltage readings? Across the battery when not running, across the battery at 2500-3000 rpms? Start with that and it may give you some indication.
Hoople has posted a very nice Voltage regulator checkout procedure.

so i bought a vtec single fire ignition it worked great

Who is Vtec? I tried a search on Vtec motorcycle ignitions and couldn't find a thing. Would you have link to their home page showing what you had installed.

Need to see & know what burned up before giving you a reason why it burned up.

Are you running 3 phase or single phase stator. Who's voltage regulator.

Thanks guys for fast reply. When i did check voltage it was 14+ .But now i cant check cause the coil is burnt. and sorry the ignition is V-Factor Single Fire Electronic Ignition. witch is a great unit, i had a ultra single fire with race, kick start and rev limiter etc. on it and it was not a good ignition i couldnt get it right so i went with the v factor one but i used the ultra coil sense it is a 3 ohm. I bought a new coil and voltage reg. but scared to put it on because i dont want the same thing happen again, i had it wired to a 15 amp breaker. And i dont know what stator i have how do i check? And its a solid state voltage reg. i bought new one from dennis kirk . thanks guys

T but i used the ultra coil sense it is a 3 ohm.

Think that's your problem. 3 ohm is for race use (intermittent use, possibly with no alternator) You should be using a 5 ohm coil. Your drawing a bunch more current than you should.

ok,, i looked for a 5ohm coil but they all say for points or dual fire.. thats where iam confused. So that would be ok to use that type of coil on single fire setup?? Just run white wire for front jug and black for rear and power to igntion not to coil right?? the igntion has 3 wires red ,white and black thats why iam asking,,

Thanks guys for fast reply. When i did check voltage it was 14+ .But now i cant check cause the coil is burnt. and sorry the ignition is V-Factor Single Fire Electronic Ignition. witch is a great unit, i had a ultra single fire with race, kick start and rev limiter etc. on it and it was not a good ignition i couldnt get it right so i went with the v factor one but i used the ultra coil sense it is a 3 ohm. I bought a new coil and voltage reg. but scared to put it on because i dont want the same thing happen again, i had it wired to a 15 amp breaker. And i dont know what stator i have how do i check? And its a solid state voltage reg. i bought new one from dennis kirk . thanks guys

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-47714.html See this for charging system:s

So that would be ok to use that type of coil on single fire setup??

No, you can't mix them up. It would be helpful to know the model number of your ignition. They make several.

V-Factor Single Fire Electronic Ignition Harley Motorcycle - Dennis Kirk, Inc

A single fire coil usually has 3 primary terminals. A battery terminal, a front cylinder terminal and a rear cylinder terminal. The front & rear ignitions are (almost) independent.
Dual fire coils have 2 terminals.

Back