free website stats program Why Blame The Dealers | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why Blame The Dealers

I have been to a lot of dealers on my 06 WG from coast to coast I never really got the warm and fuzzy from a service dept. I bought my bike threw military sales and just paid MSRP So the the dealer didnt make much money. So when i did pick up my bike i was greeted not so nicely the bike still had shipping stickers on it when he showed me it that was biloxi HD too name names. anyway being military I move a lot and found some good service counter people but bad mechanics and vise versa. Its just the attiude I get because I didnt buy it there. But now i just do my own maint. and leave the warrenty stuff the dealers. does any one feel the same? rich

+1 on not understanding what the problem with dealers is.

You make of it what you want to. The only thing that could possibly make me not want to go back would be rude service. That has only happened once to me and it was at a parts counter.

I know a bit about it, since I am a service manager myself, although it is for a truck dealer, not a motorcycle dealer. There is no need for rudeness on the part of employees, those that are I have run down the road. Think bikers are a hard bunch to deal with? Try having to learn punjabi and spanish just to be able to keep customers happy. In my case, I have to carry a sharp pencil. In todays economy it is all about price and fast service. Yet, good workmanship takes a good technician and it takes time to do a job right. I went in thinking I could find a way to satisfy every customer that came in the door, then I found that it isn't going to happen. If they come in with a chip on their shoulder because their Freightliner isn't all they thought it could be for a $120k +, then they look at the independent dealer as the designer, manufacturer of the chassis, body, drivetrain and start taking it out on people at the dealership level, that sell, service their brand of truck. That starts out with hard feelings before a service order is even written up. Pricing of labor has held steady at the place I work, but parts have been driven way up by EOM. There is nothing at the dealership level that can be done and still survive and keep the doors open, if you cannot pass on the increases to the consumer. Tough I know. About all I can do to help keep customers coming in to my service department is start out with a smile, give them attention and an ear to what their problem is and try to get the truck back on the road in a timely manner.
If you can possibly do your own work and can obtain parts reasonably, then by all means do your own work. Not everyone is blessed with mechanical ability and need to rely on dealerships for service, repairs and warranty service. The dealer should have someone you can talk with and explain any thing at all that you are uncomfortable with. That would be a service writer, foreman, service manager. Seeking out a general manager or owner should only be after you have run into a dead end with all the others in your quest to get proper service or warranty work performed.
Sorry I cannot elaborate as well on sales and parts departments, as I have never worked in them, although yes, I do know how they operate. The bottom line is, if you walk into a dealership, they should recognize that you are there as a customer to spend your money and when you do you should leave feeling all the dealings were satisfactory, pleasant and that you will not hesitate to return in the future. If you leave feeling anything other than that, then that dealership is destined to fail somewhere down the line and that would be the fault of the management.

Maybe we are lucky here. Mobile Bay and Eastern Shore Harley are in my opinion top notch.This could be because they are owned by the same people. I have nothing but praise for the sales, accessories, and the service deparments. I have not had service at Eastern Shore though.

It seems to me that a bad visit to a Harley dearler should be flagged to top and let them know how dissatisfied you are..maybe that way the bad dealers will earn their just rewards..it certainly could not hurt.

You have never heard it from me . years of riding I get my best long term deals on everything from dealer.
After market indys come along take the easy stuff trash the bike it ends up on uswd market and Hd gets bleamed for the junk.
Along come Buuba fills that bike with after mater junk then wants top dollar when he sells it. Seen it all
I have never paid for a 300 dollar oil change. Some how a a service becomes that on line.
Look at how many post we see that start out blameing HD when we get to what really happened the owner taking short cuts is the one that trashed the bike.
I will just keep saving money at the dealer and riding many trouable free miles.

I agree you can't beat HD parts and products for quality and long term ownership. I may use an independent mechanic but I use HD products.

My problem wth any service department is that they always charge book time to do a job and if you can find any mechanic that will be honest with you they will tell that if booktime on a job is Three hours, after they've done that job a few times and by learning through repetition that that Three hour job; it will only take them roughly about an hour and a half to do.

I think the service problem is the way techs get paid, FLAT RATE get it done as fast as possible to make more money for the tech himself :newsmile055: The parts they should get someone more than 18 to 20 years old that knows a little bit about cycles so you get the right parts the first time and they should carry common parts not just bling bling:newsmile093: Other than that I'm happy with my dealers.

I think the service problem is the way techs get paid, FLAT RATE get it done as fast as possible to make more money for the tech himself :newsmile055: The parts they should get someone more than 18 to 20 years old that knows a little bit about cycles so you get the right parts the first time and they should carry common parts not just bling bling:newsmile093: Other than that I'm happy with my dealers.

Actually when I ready to make a mod with a costly item I hope that My local dealer doesn't have it in stock. They have an in stock guarantee; if they don't have it in stock you get a 20% discount. If they have to order it, it generally takes less than a week to come in.

Actually when I ready to make a mod with a costly item I hope that My local dealer doesn't have it in stock. They have an in stock guarantee; if they don't have it in stock you get a 20% discount. If they have to order it, it generally takes less than a week to come in.

Thats a good deal, I wish my dealer had that, I'd get 20% off most the time:newsmile093:

Maybe I'm different from most, but when I spend a considerable amount of money for anything, I expect to get more than just the delivery of that item.

If I have a problem, if the item needs service, I expect the dealer (or maybe more correctly the dealership) to remember that I bought the item from them and to treat me accordingly. I have bought my last two cages from the same dealership, that is about an hour from my home. I travel there for all of the routine maintenance, instead of going to a similar dealership that is 20 minutes frm me Why? Because the dealership treats me right. They do the work, do it correctly, and don't require me to take out a second mortgage to pay for it. Once, when I had a problem, one that wasn;t caused by them or the car itself, they bent over backwards to get me whole again.

Does a dealer owe you that service? Of course not. He owes you delivery on what you paid for. But I think you'll find that the truely successful dealers are one's who try to keep their customers happy, before, during and after the sale.....

Its the "if you use anything except Harley oil,filters,spark plugs etc.,installed by "us", the dealer, you have "voided " your warrenty. The thats the only price, take it or leave it. The deal with the MOCO/dealer taking stuff made by outside vendors, Fram,Autolite,Dunlop, etc. changing the box and marking up the price 500%....

Back