free website stats program Who runs SAE60 weight oil in summer? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Who runs SAE60 weight oil in summer?

Even we don't use 60W. You're asking for trouble!
This is what the factory manual specifies for a 2001. I will only use 60W during the hot months and change back to 20W50 when/it it cools off. Why exactly will it be trouble?

oil.jpg

How about redline? they have a 20/60 synthetic oil.

I run it in my scoot and love it. It actually made things quieter. I run a Wood's 400-6 in my 103 with roller rockers, so the "sewing machine" sound is much more muted/muffled know. My oil temps actually ran a little cooler as well. I have a fueling oil cooler as well as a Perform oil filter. I run around 218-220 in the hot Louisiana sun.

Could also be caused by oil pump alignment and the oil is sumping.

ON my 2000 dyna, it DID like MANY OTHERS of its time: foam oil from the air ports at air cleaner...

HARLEY used the excuse of alignment which WAS a problem..... BUT THE MAIN FACT WAS and IS..... NOT using wide enough gears on the RETURN side of oil pump to move enough oil FROM engine....

I bought a fueling oil pump with LARGER gears "MORE OIL VOLUME & RETURN".... gets pooling oil OUT of the crankcase so no foaming occurs - (flywheel whipping excess oil).......

also NEVER runs oil pressure lower than 18 lbs at idle (950-1100 rpm) with fueling unit installed even in az.'s HIGH TEMPS.... I use 20/50 redline AS 20/60 cost 3$ more for the new label...

On the newer bikes ? 07 years up .. a bigger oil pump is used... LARGER VOLUME gear that were needed YEARS AGO...to return oil from the sump area under crank.... also larger on the pressure side to opperate the newer hyd chain tensioners.....

For me "BIGGER IS BETTER" this oil pump solved my problems.

signed....BUBBIE

Update

I have changed the oil to SAE60 dino and have been running it for a few weeks. No noticeable changes whatsoever for cold starting, but keep in mind relative cold for a Texas summer is low 70’s.

During hot idle the engine is noticeably quieter, no more minor clattering of the valvetrain. At speed the exhaust seems “sharper” with a bit more bite, but then again more packing may be blowing from the stock mufflers since I drilled the rear baffles.

Today was hot, around 95 with a heat index of 98, and I did some heavy two-up highway riding around 65-75MPG (about 3000-3500RPM). I pulled the air cleaner and there was no oil pooled in the housing (WOOHOO!) just a smidge of misting. I pulled the filter and there was a minimal amount of pooled oil inside but it could have been leftover 20W-50. I just installed a new clean filter and will check again in a few weeks.

Once the weather cools here I will finally change to 20W-60 synthetic oil because it is not available in dino. Bottom line: I believe I have accomplished my objective of preventing oil from puking in the air cleaner. Might as well check the easy & cheap stuff before diving into the engine.

Re: Update

I have changed the oil to SAE60 dino and have been running it for a few weeks. No noticeable changes whatsoever for cold starting, but keep in mind relative cold for a Texas summer is low 70’s.

During hot idle the engine is noticeably quieter, no more minor clattering of the valvetrain. At speed the exhaust seems “sharper” with a bit more bite, but then again more packing may be blowing from the stock mufflers since I drilled the rear baffles.

Today was hot, around 95 with a heat index of 98, and I did some heavy two-up highway riding around 65-75MPG (about 3000-3500RPM). I pulled the air cleaner and there was no oil pooled in the housing (WOOHOO!) just a smidge of misting. I pulled the filter and there was a minimal amount of pooled oil inside but it could have been leftover 20W-50. I just installed a new clean filter and will check again in a few weeks.

Once the weather cools here I will finally change to 20W-60 synthetic oil because it is not available in dino. Bottom line: I believe I have accomplished my objective of preventing oil from puking in the air cleaner. Might as well check the easy & cheap stuff before diving into the engine.
REV TECH makes a20w60 in dino!

i think switching to 20w 60 synthetic year-around would be your best move no more worries about witch oil to run in witch climate 20w 60 will work just fine year-around in-fact this post has put me to thinking about switching from 20w-50 syn to 20w-60 syn............plus i don't care what weight it is if a dino oil hits temps of 260 or better its in real trouble! syn can handle 300 that meens ALLOT to the life of a Harley Davidson engine

Back