free website stats program Who runs SAE60 weight oil in summer? | Harley Davidson Forums

Who runs SAE60 weight oil in summer?

Delmar

From the “If all else fails then read the directions” file:

My 2001 Road King will sump and puke when riding highway speeds when hot. And this summer has been super hot in Texas. I have convinced myself the puking is caused from the oil overheating thus losing its viscosity, and the pump can’t effectively return it to the reservoir so it pukes from the breather. When not hot, or not at highway speed, it does not use a drop of oil, even with the reservoir grossly overfilled.

Both my RK and old Sportster manuals clearly specify SAE60 for ambient temps over 80F. I currently run 20W50 Dino and will change it soon, then after a few high-speed puke tests will add a crash-bar oil cooler. Only want to change one thing at a time for testing purposes.

Anyone here run SAE60 summer oil? Got any feedback?

Let us know how the 60 wt works out in those temps.Are you using straight 60 or multi wt 60?

From the “If all else fails then read the directions” file:

My 2001 Road King will sump and puke when riding highway speeds when hot. And this summer has been super hot in Texas. I have convinced myself the puking is caused from the oil overheating thus losing its viscosity, and the pump can’t effectively return it to the reservoir so it pukes from the breather. When not hot, or not at highway speed, it does not use a drop of oil, even with the reservoir grossly overfilled.

Both my RK and old Sportster manuals clearly specify SAE60 for ambient temps over 80F. I currently run 20W50 Dino and will change it soon, then after a few high-speed puke tests will add a crash-bar oil cooler. Only want to change one thing at a time for testing purposes.

Anyone here run SAE60 summer oil? Got any feedback?

Just asking here - but why not use a good brand of syn in your scoots?

The Harley dealer only sells 60 straight weight for Dino oil so that’s what I bought.

I have no intelligent reason for not running synthetic. Probably just my elcheapo tendencies.

The Harley dealer only sells 60 straight weight for Dino oil so that’s what I bought.

I have no intelligent reason for not running synthetic. Probably just my elcheapo tendencies.

look into buying some form of syn lube - your scoot will thank you for it. Besides if it keeps puking oil out on the ground ,over your bike and wherever else - what money are you saving buying extra dino lube to refill it when you shouldn't need to. JMO

Could also be caused by oil pump alignment and the oil is sumping.
Will this manifest itself when only running hot & fast? Remember otherwise it's perfect. I'll change the oil to SAE60 and test to see what happens.

Will this manifest itself when only running hot & fast? Remember otherwise it's perfect. I'll change the oil to SAE60 and test to see what happens.

Very good possibility there, the oil accumulates in the sump running hard, then the crank froths it up and out the vents it comes.

If you are set on running a 60w oil you may want to consider 20/60 for start protection
I moved to Texas for my start protection. I’m currently vacationing in Wisconsin (Ixonia/Watertown) and am already shivering.

Back