free website stats program What the heck? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What the heck?

These parts are different for '08 and earlier vs '09. For '09:

The stock SG and RG supports are all chrome, because they are one peice fron to back. The Electra glide supports like the ones you recieved are two peices due to the extra bends on the front, so only the visible parts are chromed, the rear support is painted to reduce cost since it is barely visible, if it is at all.

Interesting, okay well thanks for the input. The picture on the Harley site doesn't show the bag support so I was unsure. Doesn't change the fact the Chicago HD sent me (Edit), with discolored chrome and one black piece which was marred up. Well I won't be ordering from them going forward!

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Sadist 112, Were I in your shoes, I wouldn't think twice about returning the stuff to them.
After all, you ordered and paid for new parts. You should expect them to be in unused and "NEW" condition.
Maybe at least give them a call and find out how they would like to handle the situation.

Yeah, I called them and the guy I spoke too was extremely nice and even let me swap out the standard guards, (which I ordered) for the comfort profile guards, which I found out after placing the original order, are uncomfortable for some passengers. So all in all it worked out for the best, however I still don't like the fact it took a month and a half to get my parts and they didn't even inspect the parts they sent me.

The bottom bar on my StreetGlide is chrome. (factory) I'm not sure why it would matter can't really see unless bags are off.

Yeah, I called them and the guy I spoke too was extremely nice and even let me swap out the standard guards, (which I ordered) for the comfort profile guards, which I found out after placing the original order, are uncomfortable for some passengers. So all in all it worked out for the best, however I still don't like the fact it took a month and a half to get my parts and they didn't even inspect the parts they sent me.

When they have to do special orders, they just order it from their supplier and when it comes in it goes out as soon as possible. Part of the reason their prices are so good... if they take the man hours to check every part from the factory or supplier, your (and my) prices are going to go up. As you said, the guy made it right, and you even benefitted. Their website is pretty up-to-date on order status, but if it says "Special Order" and you haven't gotten in in a couple of weeks you can call them and they'll call the supplier and find out what the status is on their end. All-in-all, I've had good customer service form CHD. If time is your major issue (mine isn't, I like saving money more) you can call around and find what you're looking for in stock someplace... I just doubt the price will be as good.

And this is all JMHO, so no one needs to get their feathers ruffled. Everybody ele's opinion is just as valid to them.

When they have to do special orders, they just order it from their supplier and when it comes in it goes out as soon as possible. Part of the reason their prices are so good... if they take the man hours to check every part from the factory or supplier, your (and my) prices are going to go up. As you said, the guy made it right, and you even benefitted. Their website is pretty up-to-date on order status, but if it says "Special Order" and you haven't gotten in in a couple of weeks you can call them and they'll call the supplier and find out what the status is on their end. All-in-all, I've had good customer service form CHD. If time is your major issue (mine isn't, I like saving money more) you can call around and find what you're looking for in stock someplace... I just doubt the price will be as good.

And this is all JMHO, so no one needs to get their feathers ruffled. Everybody ele's opinion is just as valid to them.

Yeah I agree, the problem is that the package that the guards came in looked like it got ran over by a truck and had handwriting all over it, so either it was a take off a new bike in their shop or a previous return. The other items I ordered where all in separate boxes sealed straight from Harley and included in one box sent from Chicago HD. The guards they sent me definitely were opened before.

I am just saying next time I'll go to Zanotti's I was just trying to save the 6% sales tax. Plus Zanotti's from what I understand doesn't charge you until they mail the package to you which is a plus.

Yeah I agree, the problem is that the package that the guards came in looked like it got ran over by a truck and had handwriting all over it, so either it was a take off a new bike in their shop or a previous return. The other items I ordered where all in separate boxes sealed straight from Harley and included in one box sent from Chicago HD. The guards they sent me definitely were opened before.

I am just saying next time I'll go to Zanotti's I was just trying to save the 6% sales tax. Plus Zanotti's from what I understand doesn't charge you until they mail the package to you which is a plus.

not true they charge you up front just like every where else at least they have always charged me

Well, it's good to know they got it straightned out for you. Personaly, I have always had good luck with CHD.....not the fastest by any means...but I have never had a problem with what I purchased being in less than new condition.
Lets hope that continues,as I just sent them an order yesterday, right before this discussion started !
Shame I can't order from Zanotti, cause I understand they are faster shipping, and they're only 20mile or so up the road from me....but, like you, I don't want to pay the sales tax.

I received parts from an HD dealer in Colorado with same problem, starter clutch box and factory sealed packaging was slit open and "out of the bag", the bearing grease was all over the foam wrap and bubble wrap (the special waxed anti-corrosion wrapping paper was missing) and the bearing had small areas of oxidation/corrosion. I too, contacted the dealer and am sending it back. While it is true, it was at a 25% savings from list price, I did not want to put the part into the bowels of my ride not knowing it was NEW. :(

Back