free website stats program What rpm range to run the ultra 2011 103cc | Harley Davidson Forums

What rpm range to run the ultra 2011 103cc

pyro

I am asking all out there what the best rpm is to run the 103 with a stage one kit and get the best fuel mileage without bogging it down and not going to a stage two kit. I am taking a trip and want to get the most fuel out of the bike if I can keep my heavy throttle hand out of it! I know where not to go with rpm just need someone that has taken some trips and can give a idea on what they have tried. Thanks Alan

On the highway I like to run btwn 2500 and 2800 rpm. Seems thats where my engine is happiest and these twin cams love to rev.

I dont even think about shifting into 6th unless above 70 mph.

As far as mileage, Im not sure as I've never really checked that closely but estimate I average around 38 - 40 mpg but that was with a 96" (and a heavy throttle hand).

I only recently went to 103" Stage 2 but its only 5-6 % increase in displacement so dont expect a big difference in mileage.

Last edited:
I have 2010 FLHTK with a 103 a stage one, a PCV and Vance and Hines Power Duals with Hi Out slip on's. I try and keep the rpm's below 3000 when touring. I normally run between 2500 and 2800 as well, and I tend to run at 70-75 mph. With this set up at those speeds I average 42 mpg's and thats pretty consistant. I do shift into 6th when I know I'll be at 63 mph or above for more than just a few miles. Hope this helps.

keep in mind the 2011 is gear a bit different.
allow a lower Rpm.

Smitty,
without me going to Look,, ? what changes were made (if any) from my 09 FLHR than the newer bikes out now?? Thanks

this might be useful for the answers for pyro.....

signed....BUBBIE

Cool! Thanks Guys. Six gear won't even get into till at least 70 But I will try rpms and see what it gets. Thanks The trip is going to be 2400 miles so I want to get the most out the fuel. But of coarse with wife on back and luggage we will see what I get.

If gas averages you 4.50 $ a gal your cost to do the trip is about 250$ give or take..

Gas Cost= good Value Regardless of $$ on a bike

The TRIP = PRICELESS !!!

Ride safe, the mileage will be there..

Give us a shout about the trip/with picts. and your mileage when you get back..

signed....BUBBIE

PS
I think the gear ratio's were lowered in 09, and newer models up,, in Touring style Big bikes...

The Softails still may have the higher gearing ratio's yet.... That is why geezer made the 7 tooth Larger gearing on his clutch in the primary on his and wife's 09 softails, so they could ride in 6th gear without Lugging at 55/60...
I do notice my bike runs OK at 60 in 6 gear on the level.. I do shift to 5th or even 4th when increasing speed when getting on the throttle.
Gas mileage is Secondary to me..

I have to check my PCV, because I have the same setup, except the slipon's and am getting 33 mpg and 36 on the highway. Same motor, same bike and same year.

Back