free website stats program Water cooling for HD | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Water cooling for HD

Maybe the MOCO could use the Sporster oil cooled head technology on the Big Twins?

I like improvements, rear suspension, EFI, ABS, belt drive......if water cooling will help my ride I'm all for it.

It's not a Harley because it's air cooled, any more that it's not a Harley if it doesn't have a single cylinder like the first one.

It's a Harley because HD makes it.

I have faith in MOCOs ability to cater to the nostalgia crowd (which I'm a member of) while still improving the bikes. They get style like no other bike company I know.

From my experience, just on the "rider heat" issue, there isn't any difference between a Goldwing and an Electra. I had a Goldwing, and I got just as hot, if not hotter, while riding it. Harley engines are designed to withstand up to about 300 degrees(mine hangs around 220-225). I don't see why some Harley riders are so deadset on them adding water to them.

I got this from an inside source. Their R and D department is having a few problems with their water cooled version of the ultra.

Attachments

• WATER.jpg
    WATER.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 40
From my experience, just on the "rider heat" issue, there isn't any difference between a Goldwing and an Electra. I had a Goldwing, and I got just as hot, if not hotter, while riding it. Harley engines are designed to withstand up to about 300 degrees(mine hangs around 220-225). I don't see why some Harley riders are so deadset on them adding water to them.

Well yes I agree a tuner is the only way to lower rider discomfort heat. But the reason I like water cooled is the versatility of slow traffic jam riding without overheating a CPK sensor (and becoming dead on the street) or possible scoring of the cylinders from extended periods of parade traffic etc.

Yes, but it's got 50% more TQ & HP!

Oh no doubt the GW (and all Hondas and Kawas) have tremedous power.

I got this from an inside source. Their R and D department is having a few problems with their water cooled version of the ultra.

+1 on the :lolrolling but I've sensed my bike would have loved to do just that after sitting at some redlights in the peak summer.

I got to ask this. How many of you actually know someone or have had engine damage due to heat? I'm not talking about just going into parade mode I am talking about actual heat related damage.

Oh man Joe, that picture eerily reminded me of what happened to a good riding buddy of ours who's bike ended up in a stream! I posted on it about a month ago titled "Took my eyes off the road". I don't know what exactly happened in your picture but I can guess why she's standing up. The way we felt at the time looking at the bike ingloriously lying on its side in the river was that the very least we could do was stand her up proper while we waited for the tow truck.

I got to ask this. How many of you actually know someone or have had engine damage due to heat? I'm not talking about just going into parade mode I am talking about actual heat related damage.

Ugh never actually seen the cylinders of one that has, but my bike (when owned by it's previous owner) overheated in the Easter Parade on him, and quit running. He had it hauled in and the CPK sensor was blown.

He (previous owner) said he knew it was hot but figured it would make it.

I located him from papers in the saddle bags after I bought the bike. Called him up and told him I wanted to know everything GOOD AND BAD, so I could prepare for it. So he told me, including where the small ding in the gas tank came from. I also found out I bought the bike for less than they gave him trade in on his RK. I had to walk out once to get that though. But I also found out they had taken the windshield and the PC3 off before putting the bike on display. But I bought it for $1000 less than he got trade.

You won't believe this, but on our ride to the Blue Ridge this summer, we had a kid put his electraglide in almost the same position and depth of water. They took the bike to North Wilkesboro HD shop, they checked the fluids and straightened out the front fender and he rode it 5 hrs to the house. Insurance totaled the bike because of cosmetics, but the dad bought the bike off of the insurance, fixed it back up, and it looks fine now.

Back