free website stats program Water cooling for HD | Harley Davidson Forums

Water cooling for HD

It looks like water cooled HEADS only so far.

That's really where all the heat is anyhow.

why do people make so much fuss about harleys not being air cooled sooner.

I think you meant to type 'water cooled sooner' ? But yea I don't mind water cooled at all. I can always tell on big rides who has the water cooled bikes. They are the ones that crank up early and just sit there idling. The rest of us watch and don't crank up till everybody starts moving.

why do people make so much fuss about harleys not being air cooled sooner.

The 45° V twin is a 109 year old design, and the bare finned cylinders are the base for the Harley image or recognition.
I think the resistance to water cooling is the fear/concern that our Harleys will lose that "look". Most water cooled engines are shrouded in radiators and plastic.
If the cylinders are even visible, they are not finned like we are used to. The other point is they will become more complex with water pumps, etc. We've all seen the creeping complexity in electronics each year, it is inevitable that liquid is necessary to comply with EPA requirements.

The 45° V twin is a 109 year old design, and the bare finned cylinders are the base for the Harley image or recognition.
I think the resistance to water cooling is the fear/concern that our Harleys will lose that "look". Most water cooled engines are shrouded in radiators and plastic.
If the cylinders are even visible, they are not finned like we are used to. The other point is they will become more complex with water pumps, etc. We've all seen the creeping complexity in electronics each year, it is inevitable that liquid is necessary to comply with EPA requirements.

I meant why are peole making so much fuss that this wasnt done sooner. Like finaly joining the 70s. My bike has no overheating issues.

All of the water-cooled metric cruisers I've owned (all Kaws) had functional cooling fins as well as a water-cooling system.
I've seen these plans for water-cooled Harleys just after getting my Ultra a few months ago. It is my opinion that HD is trying to maintain the look and style that the Touring bikes now have. The plans show a small electric water pump with the radiators mounted into the lowers. I can imagine that the look of an Ultra would not change very much. The plans also force the heated air out and way from the rider, unlike the current metric designs that blow the heated air straight back at the engine and the riders legs. I think its brilliant.

That's really where all the heat is anyhow.

I think you meant to type 'water cooled sooner' ? But yea I don't mind water cooled at all. I can always tell on big rides who has the water cooled bikes. They are the ones that crank up early and just sit there idling. The rest of us watch and don't crank up till everybody starts moving.
Right, ...and if we sensed that we were going to be sitting in a traffic jam for any length of time we'd be the first to shut 'em off! :s

Back